Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil stop leak products, what is fact and fiction

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013 | 02:30 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Default oil stop leak products, what is fact and fiction

I did a search and some of the posting. Many were several years old and other related topics were mixed in like trans fluid and PS product leak fixes. It was hard to navigate through all the input. So, I have a 944 S with 97K miles that has everything done and runs great except for an oil leak (quart/750 miles). I'm pretty sure it comes from the crank seal. I failed to change the seal when the belts and pump were being replaced. Anyway, I don't want to pull everything back off to change those seals so I was thinking about using a product like the Lucas Oil Leak Seal, at least for awhile anyway.

Now, I've read the pros and cons in the forum. When you throw out the extremes (fanatics that say dome and gloom to greatest thing in the world), you still end up a rather confusing picture. There doesn't seam to be a strong consensus on any brand or whether it does actually work to stop leaks (yes, those things are claimed but there is not a strong majority). Most seem to agree that they are not acutely harmful to the engine. Does anyone have some credible experience or logic on these products?
Old 11-05-2013 | 02:43 PM
locke
Advanced

despite whatever info you find here. I would still fact check with the bobistheoilguy.com forum.

What can I say, personal experiences vary with every product.
Old 11-05-2013 | 03:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

1 quart in 750 miles is pretty good IMO...
Old 11-05-2013 | 03:47 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Fact: if you have an oil leak, any sort of additive (good, bad or otherwise) will not correct the underlying problem.

Fact: if there is any sort of additive that would be beneficial to the engine, and reduce oil leaking, it would already be in the oil.

Fact: I would not use such a product... I took apart an engine that had coolant stop-leak additive in it. All the water jacket passages were a complete mess, and the head is unusable.
Old 11-05-2013 | 06:53 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
I did a search and some of the posting. Many were several years old and other related topics were mixed in like trans fluid and PS product leak fixes. It was hard to navigate through all the input.

So, I have a 944 S with 97K miles that has everything done and runs great except for an oil leak (quart/750 miles).

I'm pretty sure it comes from the crank seal.

I failed to change the seal when the belts and pump were being replaced.

Anyway, I don't want to pull everything back off to change those seals so I was thinking about using a product like the Lucas Oil Leak Seal, at least for awhile anyway.

?
If you have an oil leak in the front of the engine because you did not replace the front crank seal when you did the belts and pump.....

You are asking for a FU engine because the belts are being sprayed with oil from the front leaking seal.

The seal costs $10, I know because I redid my front crank seal this spring.
I inserted it slightly off (see the video Van did on the install to do it correct) and it started to drip. I did not think a couple hours of work to prevent serious engine belt failure was difficult.

You have more than a bad front crank seal if it leaks a quart every 750 miles.
Your oil pump sleeve is eating the seal lips away and will get worse. Change the oil pump sleeve if you see any worn seal marks.

PS rack sealants will work fine for 90 days and then the leak will get worse.
Van is correct about coolant sealers.

J_AZ
Old 11-05-2013 | 09:44 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Ok,thanks guys, all good stuff here. Locke, the link is great but also reinforces my view that opinions are all over the place. John, I agree at a quart per 750, there is leakage somewhere besides the front crank seal. Oddly or coincidently, i did not have a leak before i replaced the belts and pump but I cannot figure out how it could have been connected. I thought I got lucky with a loose filter but that wasn't it. The spray is all over the front corner of the engine on the passenger side bottom.
Old 11-05-2013 | 09:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Isn't Porsche's acceptable oil consumption spec 1L/1000km?

Are you burning oil as well, or just leaking?
Old 11-06-2013 | 03:11 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Just leaking, no burning.

Quick Reply: oil stop leak products, what is fact and fiction