Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1987 944S (16V), Rust-Free, Accident Free, 108K, Stock, Stone Grey Metallic in NH

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FS: 1987 944S (16V), Rust-Free, Accident Free, 108K, Stock, Stone Grey Metallic in NH

I recently acquired a very nice '87 944S with a near-mint original maroon leather interior, good paint, clean as can be and well maintained with many service records which I am looking to sell. The 16V 944S is a somewhat rare bird, with only 5224 made in 1987 and around 3300 sold in the USA. Of course the people on this board know the 16V engine produces almost as much HP as the turbo but without the added complexity and lag of the turbo.

Frankly, the reason I am selling it is because it is just not a car I can easily get in and out of due to a back injury. The car has got 108K on the odometer and it pulls like a freight train. The prior owner replaced the timing and balance shaft belts around 5K miles ago and in general the car's been very well looked after. The exterior has a couple of scratches and very minor flaws but NO RUST. It's as clean underneath as it is on top too. The car's always been garaged and covered and it shows. Wheels are the original 15" phone-dials which have a set of Toyo tires on them with plenty of tread and which I just balanced and run smooth and quiet. Brakes were done on all 4 wheels around 5K miles ago. Car just passed NH safety inspection with no issues whatsoever and drives very well. It was apparently owned for 20+ years by a PCA member who lavished great care on it and it shows.

Couple of small things worth mentioning:

1) Left turn signal does not cancel automatically (common). It can be lived with or fixed, not super critical just annoying.
2) A/C, which is still running R12, will need a recharge (it still has some gas in it so it is not a big leak. R12 is still readily available and pretty cheap - I can supply it to the buyer if they need it.
3) Clock backlight is burned out (also common)
4) Fuel gauge "wanders" when above 1/2 full but appears to smooth out at 1/2 and below. Probably the sender.
5) Slight oil leak from what appears to be the valve cover gasket. I have ordered a complete kit from 944online and will replace it or supply it with the car should I not have time to do so - I was planning on inspecting the cam chain and its guides while in there.
6) Belts whine a little when the engine is cold, but it goes away after 5-10 minutes which is somewhat typical on these even when they are properly tensioned from what I have seen here.
7) The plastic stone guard material which lines the lower face of the fenders and wheel wells is cracked and should be replaced but it does its job of protecting the lower part of the body so it is still present.

This would be a great driver or a car worthy to take to the "next level" for an enthusiast.

Car is located in Nashua, NH, about 1 hour north of Boston. I am asking $5,995 but will listen to reasonable offers. I have a clean carfax I can send if anyone is interested.
Attached Images    

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-31-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:13 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

FYI you need to be a paid member to post stuff for sale or the admins will delete. GLWS
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM
nhdoc
Intermediate

OOPS, Sorry for the faux pas

I did not realize it so I just "upgraded" to become a paying member!

It's a GREAT board and I honestly never knew there was such a thing as a "paid member".
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Looks very nice. Price is reasonable, but this might be a tough time of year to sell. If you can hold out until spring you would probably get a better price, especially up in NH.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by konakat
Looks very nice. Price is reasonable, but this might be a tough time of year to sell. If you can hold out until spring you would probably get a better price, especially up in NH.
I have a place to store it but would prefer to see it driven so I am hoping someone will find it attractive enough to buy now and I am willing to work with them on the price if it moves before the snow starts falling. It's warm and sunny someplace this time of year, I know that so they can always fly in and drive it home!

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-31-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
longrunner1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clutch?

Any documentation on the clutch? You state new engine installed at 75k. Newly rebuilt at the time of installation or used?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by longrunner1
Any documentation on the clutch? You state new engine installed at 75k. Newly rebuilt at the time of installation or used?
Clutch is assumed original from what I can see in the docs as I could see no papers showing it was replaced.

As per Post #9, below, the engine is in fact original but the head was replaced at 75K miles. My misinterpretation of the service receipts lead to the wrong conclusion about that initially and I have corrected the initial post.

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-31-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck on sale and hope it goes to a good home. Looks like a good car, offered at a good price.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
sh944s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NHdoc,

That's my old car. I owned it for 21 yrs prior to selling it to a close friend a few yrs ago. I had many great times with the car and kept up with the maintenance during my ownership. Always garaged and covered. The car has the original engine. The head from the replacement engine was used when the original timing chain snapped and destroyed the valves and both camshafts. The replacement engine block got built up into a turbo motor for my 86 944 Turbo which is now a dedicated track car.

I've got a picture of the car running the autocross at Lake Placid PCA Parade in 1994 hanging in my office.

It would make someone a great car. I would buy it back but I replaced it with a Carrera 2 that I have grown very attached to.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sh944s
NHdoc,

That's my old car. I owned it for 21 yrs prior to selling it to a close friend a few yrs ago. I had many great times with the car and kept up with the maintenance during my ownership. Always garaged and covered. The car has the original engine. The head from the replacement engine was used when the original timing chain snapped and destroyed the valves and both camshafts. The replacement engine block got built up into a turbo motor for my 86 944 Turbo which is now a dedicated track car.

I've got a picture of the car running the autocross at Lake Placid PCA Parade in 1994 hanging in my office.

It would make someone a great car. I would buy it back but I replaced it with a Carrera 2 that I have grown very attached to.

Good luck with the sale.
I asked the gent who sold it to me recently if he could put me in touch with you but never heard back from him about that - thanks for filling in the holes on the service history! I wish I could hang onto it but it is harder for me to get in and out of than my old 911 - I think it is lower and the seat is in a more awkward spot and it aggravates my back twisting as I drop into it. Or maybe I am just older now? Whatever the cause it just isn't a good fit for my body, unfortunately.

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-31-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
longrunner1
Racer

Looks like sport seats with bigger side bolsters. They do make it harder to get in and out of ,but reallY hold you in place.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

see Canadians ??!!!

what we got here is a hella lot more ride for the money (than some tired 924) and has the J-lo hips...

and a perfect kit car for the V8 engine (down the road).

glws.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by nhdoc
...it is harder for me to get in and out of than my old 911 - I think it is lower and the seat is in a more awkward spot and it aggravates my back twisting as I drop into it.
Originally Posted by longrunner1
Looks like sport seats with bigger side bolsters. They do make it harder to get in and out of ,but reallY hold you in place.
Mine has sport seats, and a lot of people have trouble getting in and out of the car. I like to say that you more 'put the car on' than get into it.

I've already replaced the passenger seat back with a standard seat back. I was planning on doing the same to the driver's side, but I just picked up a 928, so I might leave it as it is.

Beautiful 944, BTW. GLWS.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
see Canadians ??!!!

what we got here is a hella lot more ride for the money (than some tired 924) and has the J-lo hips...

and perfect kit car for the V8 engine (down the road).
glws.
Yup I see it..drool. That price up here will get you one with a broken head. I've been looking at one local to me, and he is asking 11k. More miles, but nicer wheels. I should probably import my next 944/968.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM
longrunner1
Racer

Default Nice 1987 base 944

Just bought some sports seats from an Englishman up in Westport Conn.. He currently has a 1987 944 guards red with linen interior for sale, new paint no dings or scratches, perfect interior, I believe 58 k on her, Belts etc done 10k ago, Test drove her , drove and handled just like a 58k car should. No rattles , vibrations etc. . The only thing car needs done to her is plastic gear repair on sunroof, and clip needs to be installed on shifter handle, He had a new original period correct radio put back in her, when they installed it I believe they did not reinstall shifter handle correctly, He has a new c.s. steering wheel on her, forged d90s on her also. He has it advertised on ebay now, has service records to boot, HIS RESERVE IS 8K, there some wiggle room on this one. If I were looking for a base 944 , I would not hesitate purchasing it. Just figured I would pass this one on to the forum.

Quick Reply: FS: 1987 944S (16V), Rust-Free, Accident Free, 108K, Stock, Stone Grey Metallic in NH