Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Wagz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Nos?

Has anyone had succes installin nitrous into an NA 944 with the 2.5???

IF so, how much cost\trouble is the install.

Thanks, Ryan
Old 07-16-2003, 09:33 AM
snappy
Racer

There are a bunch of company's that sell them. installation is a breeze. But giggle gas puts tremendous strain on your bottom and top end. Which the 944 are not really prepared to handle. But you can safely do a 50 shot. prob. without much hassle. The thing is when you do 50 you want to try the 75 then you want to do the 100 and before you know it you end up with a hole in your bonnet where the valve shot throughout the head into the blue yonder. And that is a best case scenario

Pricing ranges from around 400 to 600
Old 07-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Why... the only people who use NOS are ricers and drag racers.... if you drive a 944 I hope that you are neither of them.... but then again... to each his own...
Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 AM
soundboy4
Racer

http://www.9xauto.com/nitroll.html

^i guess it's tempting, but there's other cool stuff you could do to the car for 600+ bucks worth that you can enjoy the entire time the car is running, as opposed to when you hit the nitrous
Old 07-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nos?

Originally posted by Wagz
Has anyone had succes installin nitrous into an NA 944 with the 2.5???

IF so, how much cost\trouble is the install.

Thanks, Ryan
Wagz' Siggy:
The only thing i hate more than riced out cars, is people who turn german cars into ricers!
Um, putting NOS in a 944 IS turning a german car into a ricer.

BAD idea in so many ways...

-Z.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Wagz
Racer

NOS in a german car is not rice, if it is gonna be used to lower et's.

Putting a huge aluminum wing, body kit, and underglow is. The main desrciption of rice is parts for import cars that are gawdy and do not ad any real performance. Nitrous does ad performance, and as cheap as any other mod on these cars. To the best of my knowledge, nos would be the only way to get this much hp from the na 944, save for a turbo conversion ( which is not worth it).
Old 07-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ever since Vin Diesel yelled "NAWS" seconds before the Eclipse blew up, I have trouble disassociating NOS and rice.

BUT: if you want lower ET's, buy a Mustang. Our cars weren't MADE for the 1/4 mile: they are handling machines. Don't take your car to the drag strip: take it to the race track: you know: where you go straight AND turn.

Besides, NOS is a company name (often associated with ricers). Nitrous Oxside, or NO(subscript)2 is what we're talking about here.

Nitrous + your car on the drag strip will yield busted CV joints and a worn engine.

Not trying to start a flame war, just calling it like it is.

Peace,
-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 07-16-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
jurg
Racer

I understand where most of you are coming from with the term ricer and Nitrous Oxide - ( NOS = brand )
but thats like saying... Hondas have k & n's..so if you put a filter in your porsche is that ricer?
Supra guys have hre wheels..thats import..porsche guys have hre..is that rice..

I mean come on guys loosen up some with the term
I personally feel nitrous is just as any other modification if used with reason look at the viper/mustang/and vette boys for example..

Everyone has a car for a reason,its theyre car,if you wanna run nitrous,just put it and enjoy it..and if you get greedy,get ready for a new motor

If it works why not
Old 07-16-2003, 02:07 PM
snappy
Racer

Personally If they can make a nitro's bottle that can hide in my car somewhere without sticking out I would hook it up to a full throttle staged release system. What that does is add more gas the more peddle you give. instead of shooting it in full blast. This does indeed take a tremendous load off the engine compared to the standard method of injection things. But add a bottle warmer to the deal and remote opener and you already sit somewhere in the range of $1K +. Which for me looses it's appeal.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Z-man

BUT: if you want lower ET's, buy a Mustang. Our cars weren't MADE for the 1/4 mile: they are handling machines. Don't take your car to the drag strip: take it to the race track: you know: where you go straight AND turn.
I cant really say there is anything wrong with wanting to run the nitrous kit, infact if you give me a call i will even sell you one but i agree with the above statement about drag racing.

jokes and sales pitch aside, places like summit and jegs are usually good prices for that kind of stuff i think you want the universal 4cyl import kit and you want the wet system that injects fuel with the nitrous to stay safe.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think adding giggle gas to your nice machine would make the mechanic giggle a lot, when he replaces the engine!

If you want to feel the car go suddenly, then by all means, I'd suggest purchasing a 951! Then you get to feel BOOOOST which is much better than NOOOOS!

- Julie
Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 PM
soundboy4
Racer

Besides, NOS is a company name (often associated with ricers). Nitrous Oxside, or NO(substript)2 is what we're talking about here.
^a distinction i feel more people need to make
Old 07-16-2003, 02:16 PM
jurg
Racer

Hell
Just get a 951 and Put nitrous on that - Double the fun
Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 PM
snappy
Racer

hmm actually NOS was a term used before the company was around. The company name actually came from the abbreviated slang for Nitrous Oxide System. People used the term long before it became associated with "Holley" (ppl. who own it).

Also you need to remember that it's not always a plug and play. Most of the after-market chips would need to be removed as they advance timing. Spark plug gaps would have to be dropped a bit. Timing retarded a bit if possible. And 100+ octane would make a good addition to the setup as well. Like any modifications. You need to look at all factors to make it as safe / efficient as possible.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Z-man
Ever since Vin Diesel yelled "NAWS" seconds before the Eclipse blew up, I have trouble disassociating NOS and rice.

Besides, NOS is a company name (often associated with ricers). Nitrous Oxside, or NO(substript)2 is what we're talking about here.

Nitrous + your car on the drag strip will yield busted CV joints and a worn engine.

Not trying to start a flame war, just calling it like it is.

Peace,
-Z.
I agree (except I'd recommend a late model camaro SS over the mustang--cheaper and faster with more potenial).
But Nitrous Oxide is actually N2O. Oxidizing NO2 would be endothermic.

Quick Reply: Nos?