Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can get rid of exhaust fumes in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beamishnz
Glad to hear that you are making progress. Be interested to see how you get on with the rich mixture issue. I was thinking O2 sensor too. Wilks who supplied my performance chip have suggested I check the mixture setting on the DME too .. just not had the time
The DME Setting is simple to check/change, i havent done anything but make sure it was setting 0', Everything I have read says you shouldnt change it. I hope to get the new O2 sensor installed this weekend and I will report back

1987 Red 944 N/A
Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would post up a final report, I have solved the problem. I did several things, all probably had some impact. These were done over a week or so, gradually the smell went away. I was more interested in fixing the problem than trying to determine the exact cause so I did several things over a short time based on inputs i got here.

1- replaced rear hatch seal, i still have a slight hatch fitup issue.
2- installed a generic aftermarket catalytic converter.
3- replaced O2 sensor, had to install a new bung.
4- set FQS to position 2 to lean it out a bit
5- started running 87 octane instead of 93 ( previous owner said he used 93, i didnt know any better)
6- performed throttle body refurbed, cleaned and installed the Arnworx TB kit
7- Installed closed cell acoustic eggcrate foam that I had laying around in the wheel wells and around the rear behind the carpet in the hatch area. (really helped with road noise)

I seem to have completety fixed the problem, not a hint of exhaust odor in the car. I think 2, 3 and 5 had the most impact. i am going to run for a couple more days with the FQS set to 2 then go back to 0 to see if there is any change.

Maybe this will help another Porsche newbie like myself. thanks to the guys in the forum who kindly offered their experience.

1987 Red 944 N/A *** NOTE- I probably posted from my iPad, please excuse any typos, bad punctuation or odd grammar, if it is unreadable, it probably was posted from my iPhone.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the update. Very helpful ... glad to hear your problem is solved. Let us know if the FQS position makes any difference.

Quick Reply: Can get rid of exhaust fumes in cabin