Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can get rid of exhaust fumes in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HICKS
Do you smell it with windows up, windows down, or both?
Both, and even when only the sunroof is open. The intensity varies, from nothing to full on brain cell killing...

1987 Red 944 N/A
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM
chriscross
AutoX

Originally Posted by use2windsurf
it is an 87. see photo, i am assuming the headers are cast... i have only had the car 3 months so who knows what has been done over the years. yesterday going home from work it about ran me out, clothes reaked of exhaust, this morning coming in, i smelled it for about 5 mins, last 15 minutes I didnt smell it. this is driving me insane.

Attachment 769971

1987 Red 944 N/A
Yeah, those are cast - someone must have replaced the original ones. Do you smell it at all while idling with the hood up or does it only happen at speed (that would be more in line with what others are saying about plugging holes)?

You could jack the car up and search for leaks. Just in case you haven't seen them yet - there are threads on here that show the proper jack points or just use some ramps.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by use2windsurf
Both, and even when only the sunroof is open. The intensity varies, from nothing to full on brain cell killing...

1987 Red 944 N/A
Do you still have a cat? Is the cat original? Original exhaust tip?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by chriscross
Yeah, those are cast - someone must have replaced the original ones. Do you smell it at all while idling with the hood up or does it only happen at speed (that would be more in line with what others are saying about plugging holes)? You could jack the car up and search for leaks. Just in case you haven't seen them yet - there are threads on here that show the proper jack points or just use some ramps.
it seems to be when at speed, i sniffed all around the engine compartment, under the car, at the exhaust and couldnt find. I live two blocks from a muffler shop, think Its time to make a stop and let them put it on the rack.

1987 Red 944 N/A
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by HICKS
Do you still have a cat? Is the cat original? Original exhaust tip?
I think it has the orignal cat. not sure about the exhaust tip

1987 Red 944 N/A
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

There is a threaded hole that should contain a plug just ahead of the cat, could be missing. If you live in a state that does emission testing , the PO may have removed it or drilled a hole in the exhaust ahead of the cat to pass the test. It's an old trick to get an old cat to 'light up' by feeding it extra fresh air.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not sound like a complete solution, but it sure beats dying of fumes in the cabin. Extend your exhaust tip. There is a large dead air space behind the car while it is travelling down the road, and exhaust can get caught in this area and get sucked into the cabin through one of many holes/seals etc. Old Datsun Z cars suffer from this, and after I replaced and sealed everything I could find, I extended the muffler tip 3 inches, and the car got 100 times better. (pointing the tip towards the ground will help as well.) It had a side benefit of the car being cleaner as the exhaust was no longer getting the back of the car dirty.

goodluck!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Racerstev
Instructor

I had-have the same problem with my 87. I tyred new manifolds, sealing all
the holes I could find, new shift boot. By far the biggest improvement was
from the rear hatch. I got new hatch pins (mine were seized) and got rid of
90% of the fumes.

Thinking the rest could be gotten rid of with a side exit exhust in the back..

Steve
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

just looking at the thread title, my first inclination would be to get suspicious about a possible cracked header.... but then, then engine would be noisy.

next suspicious area to investigate would be the overall seal at the rear hatch.

maybe line the entire hatch seals with window putty and take a short drive

and check if the situation has improved.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

the hatch glass is glued to the aluminum frame - the bond fails at the top and this lets water and sometimes fumes into the car - check that. If it is coming debonded, there is an on-line FAQ on how to reseal - be sure to use both primers if you do this or it won't stick (personal experience)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Racerstev
Instructor

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
the hatch glass is glued to the aluminum frame - the bond fails at the top and this lets water and sometimes fumes into the car - check that. If it is coming debonded, there is an on-line FAQ on how to reseal - be sure to use both primers if you do this or it won't stick (personal experience)
For a temporary fix I used black electrical tape across the top of the hatch.
Blends into the black frame nicely and it keeps the water and fumes out..

Steve
Old 10-21-2013, 04:14 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same on an '88 944S. It got worse if the sunroof was open because that caused a venture sucking air through anything unsealed at the rear hatch. I tweaked around with the rear seal (pulled it off slightly and adjusted the latches to make the lid close tighter - but no so tight that it wouldn't release ... that worked for me. I also looked at why it smelt so rich as well ... it was rich on WOT and that made the problem worse ... still working on that problem
Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
This may not sound like a complete solution, but it sure beats dying of fumes in the cabin. Extend your exhaust tip. There is a large dead air space behind the car while it is travelling down the road, and exhaust can get caught in this area and get sucked into the cabin through one of many holes/seals etc. Old Datsun Z cars suffer from this, and after I replaced and sealed everything I could find, I extended the muffler tip 3 inches, and the car got 100 times better. (pointing the tip towards the ground will help as well.) It had a side benefit of the car being cleaner as the exhaust was no longer getting the back of the car dirty.

goodluck!
Update: I took the car down Friday and had the exhaust inspected. no leaks, but the catalytic converter appeared to the the original. It was completely burned through and the rattling I thought was a heat shield was the loose guts of the converter. I opted to have it replaced with a standard unit and installed a new exhaust tip. It dramatically improved the issue. I can still occasionally smell exhaust it has a different odor and is much less offensive. Seems to occur worst between 70-80 mph.
Additionally I installed the hatch pin seats from only944.com http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/hatchpinseats.html which also gave me a better seal by eliminating the vibration of the pins in the seats which keeps the seals firm against the deck. Also got rid of the annoying rattle. I can hit speed bumps now with no rattle from the hatch.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by beamishnz
I had the same on an '88 944S. It got worse if the sunroof was open because that caused a venture sucking air through anything unsealed at the rear hatch. I tweaked around with the rear seal (pulled it off slightly and adjusted the latches to make the lid close tighter - but no so tight that it wouldn't release ... that worked for me. I also looked at why it smelt so rich as well ... it was rich on WOT and that made the problem worse ... still working on that problem
sounds like our problems are almost the same, I have also have a rich mixture. I am replacing the 02 sensor and DCM temperature sensor which many on here say can be the cause. I'll post back with an update. thanks, this forum has been a life saver.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to hear that you are making progress. Be interested to see how you get on with the rich mixture issue. I was thinking O2 sensor too. Wilks who supplied my performance chip have suggested I check the mixture setting on the DME too .. just not had the time

Quick Reply: Can get rid of exhaust fumes in cabin