Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whirring from TT/gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Whirring from TT/gearbox

Just started seemingly out of nowhere... factory 5-speed w/ LSD box.

I tried recording the sound but my phone didn't get it. Basically, it makes a whirring noise (almost a low whining). If I had to assess the frequency of the noise, I would say it's too slow to be TT (i.e. 2-4k rpm), so the final drive is probably my best guess. CV joints? Some sort of bearing? ...not my pinion..please...

It's most prominent on acceleration and while power is constant. It goes away on decel and clutch-in. It crops up mostly in 4th/5th, but probably only because revs are lower and I can actually hear it over my louder-than-I-care-to-admit exhaust.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on the box? Can you get a good soundclip? Does it make a noise in neutral? It could be your throw out bearing.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pinion bearings? inner axle bearings? outer axle bearings? change trans oil and inspect for metal flakes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

pinions tend to make noise under decel. I wouldnt think it would be that if the noise stops under decel or with the clutch in.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
How many miles on the box? Can you get a good soundclip? Does it make a noise in neutral? It could be your throw out bearing.
I have a few tests this week but I intend to try and get a soundclip. So far my exhaust overwhelms my POS phone mic whenever I try. 146k on the box.

It started on the way back from Cale's the other day... I wonder if that lockup you got on the highway was something happening? Not saying it was your fault, but maybe crap started acting up coincidentally when you were driving it.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Oh Wow...I Feel SO bad..all I did was shift from 5th to 3rd...I double clutched it and everything and when I went to go from neutral to 3rd even though I revved matched, it wouldnt go into gear..with 146k on the box, something might have let go. When was your last fluid change? might be a good idea to drain the fluid and examine it. Michael I swear I had nothing to do with that happening, I feel SUPER bad now. Does it go into all the gears smoothly? Does it make noise in neutral, either driving or stopped? I'm guessing CV axle or a layshaft bearing in the trans.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My NA trans makes a whirring sound too. I just got the car so I assumed it was normal, but now I don't know. Please keep us updated on what you find.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Nah dude it locked up, wasn't your fault. I was sitting next to you and saw exactly what happened.. had I ever gone 5 to 3 (which I don't think I've ever done at 70) it would have happened to me haha. I'll drain as soon as I can.

In the meantime am I ok to drive about? I drove home over an hour and I was fine.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

My tranny with the LSD does that with certain diff fluids in it. Mainly Royal Purple.

My non LSD tranny doesn't care what oil is in it. But the LSD gets picky and whirrs or whines with certain oils. It could also be because my LSD is 30 years old.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parawhore
My tranny with the LSD does that with certain diff fluids in it. Mainly Royal Purple.

My non LSD tranny doesn't care what oil is in it. But the LSD gets picky and whirrs or whines with certain oils. It could also be because my LSD is 30 years old.
I haven't checked to see if I have an LSD, maybe that would explain it. I hate that my options sticker is missing, it'll be a PITA to check the code on the trans. Anybody know how to get options from the VIN?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konakat
I haven't checked to see if I have an LSD, maybe that would explain it. I hate that my options sticker is missing, it'll be a PITA to check the code on the trans. Anybody know how to get options from the VIN?
I'm fairly sure the transaxle has a part number on it, and it differs from LSD to non-LSD. I just can't remember what the numbers are off the top of my head but I'll poke around.

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
In the meantime am I ok to drive about? I drove home over an hour and I was fine.
I drove mine with that whirring noise for about a month and it had no repercussions (That I know of). Just don't beat the hell out of it in the meantime. And of course, turn the radio up.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
Jack up your rear end and spin a wheel, if the opposite wheel spins the same direction you have lsd...if it spins the opposite way you have an open diff.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Or get a little sideways

Last edited by odonnell; 10-09-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Michael, from what I know of the 944 differential, here is my take on it.

Differential carrier bearings will whirr or howl all the time, with the frequency related to speed and not rpm or throttle load. Putting the clutch in or being in neutral will generally not effect this.

Torque tube bearings obviously will be at same frequency and dependent on engine rpm.

Which is why I think it is a pinion bearing, since it will also whirr at a frequency relative to the speed of the final drive, and it IS dependent on throttle loading through the gearbox. From doing some reading, I've found its a big issues with the manual 968's who's pinion bearing preload was not set properly at the factory. This is not generally an issue seen in the 944 boxes from the factory but is becoming increasingly common as our diffs collectively age. Special tools are required to install a new bearing properly.

I would say that if you drain the oil and dont find chunks of R&P then I'm betting it is slop in the pinion bearings. If the diff was going to explode, I suspect it already would have though. Still doesn't explain the lockup.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Gawernator
Racer

The torque tube bearings would make a grinding noise on deceleration

Quick Reply: Whirring from TT/gearbox