Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tipping your P-Car Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:33 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See Tom, that's my point. The mechanic I used wasn't the shop manager or owner...yet he wasn't an assistant. But I THOUGHT he was the owner.

I guess if not tipping is the norm, I shouldn't be worried about calling him! I just thought if everyone tips, I would be a complete idiot for not tipping...thus, hated by the mechanic, etc!

I worry about these things when I should be worried about how much new shocks are gonna set me back!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never tipped my mechanic....although he's a 'one-man-band'...meaning owner/mechanic. He's honest and does great ( but a little slow) work....so I seldom question his hours...and if he makes a little extra...it's worth it!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhmmm. well my wife took the ML320 into the dealer because the "check engine" light was on. The service manager called to tell me the MAF needed replacement for $575 + 2.5 hrs labor for another $250+, then he told me that he has to charge me 1 to 1.5 hours for the diagnostic time today - amazing that 45 minutes she waited for the car turned into 1.5 hours @ $99/hr.

I'm onto the Mercedes dealers now - all of the ones in Vancouver are factory owned dealerships - when they used to charge me for 8 spark plugs in a 6 cylinder car...

So I ask, why should I tip them???

PS: My wife used to work in a body shop as the accountant, so diagnostic time today WAS charged out at 3/4 hour only.

Anybody know where I can get a OEM MAF for MB ML320??
Old 07-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423699821
Old 07-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tom Carson
is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423699821
YEP!! Thanks Tom! I could not find it on eBay!

Last edited by Randy_J; 07-15-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Well, chalk up another one for Rennlist. Bought that MAF for the ML320 on eBay for $160 vs what the dealer wanted - $400+!!

And what about installation time? Dealer said it would take 2.5 hours @ $99/hr! Well, to check the P/N on the MAF to make sure I was buying the right part, I had to go pop the hood open on the car, open 8 over center clips, then pull off the snorkel, disconnect 1 connector, and use a 1/4" flat blade on the Norma clamp and I had the MAF in my hand. Confirmed the P/N and re-installed everything - total elapsed time... under 5 minutes in my driveway. ....Wonder what the dealer was doing with the other 145 minutes he wanted to charge for changing the MAF.

Oh, and the OEM air filter that he inisisted on changing for $40?? Clean as a whistle, because they just changed it at the last major service 3,500 miles ago!

This just gives me a LOT of confidence in the dealer service department!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not defending 145 minutes, but 30+ minutes of that would be setting the readiness code after installing the new MAF. if all you did was plug it in and go, you did it wrong.

at the vw dealer, we charge 1.7 hours to replace an MAF. 1 hour for diag, .2 to change it (beetles are a PITA) and .5 to set readiness.

Originally posted by Randy_J
Wonder what the dealer was doing with the other 145 minutes he wanted to charge for changing the MAF.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:45 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tell them when I think they've done a good job.

It hasn't happened yet at a dealer! The stories I could tell...

Last edited by Peckster; 07-16-2003 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in high school and college, tipping was a more regular occurance, after giving good customer service. Now that I work on Porsches, I haven't even HEARD of a tip after service, and our shop usually straightens out other shop's messes at a lower labor rate!

Is it the times changing? Or the clientele? A little of both, I bet. In fact, it often seems that our upper end customers have a notion that we are there personal indentured mechanics, living in their coachhouse, ready for their every need... Our "smaller fish" clientele are more likely to express appreciation for a job well done.

Just as a point of note: when I had my car painted (a BIG occasion for me) I tipped the guy - he runs a 2 man shop, gave me a good price and a good job. I'm not saying you SHOULD tip - that is a personal decision, and should be a response to being impressed with service. I don't believe in customary tipping - to the extent that I hate the waiter/waitressing industry.

On the flat labor rate issue - that is DEFENITELY a 2-edged sword. It simply is the best way to easily maintain fairness when billing in respect to BOTH parties. Imagne how many stripped/broken/rusted fasteners and incorrect previous repair work, and damage due to lack of maintenance a mechanic sees in 16+ year old cars on a day-to-day basis that is NOT billable time! On the flip side, if a tech has worked hard for 16 years to develop the knowledge and skills to diagnose and repair quickly and correctly, he has still earned the billable time for the job that a less competent mechanic would earn, right?

Show me a mechanic that could afford to take his own car to a shop for repair and I'll go work for him.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:40 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the mechanic at the Goodyear tire place was replacing two CV boots on my boyfriend's car, the axle fell apart in their hands; rather than waste employee time, they put in a new axle, with two new CV boots, at their cost, which was the same price as the two boots!

So, I ran off to the grocery store, in the Eagle Talon, and promptly got followed by a cop, was harrassed a little in the grocery store parking lot (fer crying out loud, it's an automatic!). His reasoning was that I pulled out of the Goodyear too fast...in an automatic?

Anyway, I returned with a chilled case and a half of Coor's light, and they were very happy. These guys, for a tire place, work themselves pretty hard. They close at 6, but sometimes they are there until midnight, getting work done, at no additional costs for overtime to the customers.

- Julie
Old 07-16-2003, 05:53 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Brian. I guess we are like Weebles, we wobble but don't fall down.

I have recieved many "gifts" from customers over the years from parts to checks or cash. Most recently a bottle of wine. Always appreciated but never expected.

FWIW, the guys in the shop are not getting rich off what the customer gets charged flat rate or not. Especially after they have to invest in quality tools including all the specialty tools necessary to do it right. Price some professional tools and see what I mean.Snap On Tools has a web site anyone can go to.

Occationally give your guy a six pack or something, he will appreciate it and you've got nothing to lose.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:53 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by Devia
Anyway, I returned with a chilled case and a half of Coor's light, and they were very happy. - Julie
Julie,

Now beer is always a good tip!
If I could just convince the people in my company that it's cutomary to tip IT managers with beer life would be good!

Quick Reply: Tipping your P-Car Mechanic?