Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 S2 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013 | 07:52 PM
rob_marrow
4th Gear

Talking New 944 S2 Advice

Hey everyone. I just bought a 90 944 S2 Cabriolet. Bought it blind. A good deal on Ebay and had it shipped. Over the last 25 years I've owned a 944 (84), 968 Cabrio (95), 996 Cabrio (99) and now the S2. Loved them all.

I don't have any service history on the car and will be fixing the list of stuff below that I discovered in giving it a once over but wondered if you all could give me advice on other critical things to check.

Engine and tranny seem strong and smooth after test drive.

What I know needs to be done:

Power top not working - need to fix.
Passenger window not working - need to fix
Minor cosmetic stuff
Oil change and check all fluids (will use synthetic). Probably flush all fluids.
Front bumper round inserts missing - need to replace
Will probably upgrade stereo
Seats likely need recovering / replacement (have covers on now)
Convertible top headliner is in good shape but doesn't look installed quite right.
Clutch pedal engages high so clutch may be getting thin. Doesn't slip but engages high.
Check brakes for wear and replace as needed although they fell great and car stops on a dime.

I'm looking for advice and detail on anything else I should do from a service and preventive maintenance standpoint. I know I will be doing whatever is needed on timing belt/chain and balance shaft chain / pad / tensioner but could use some guidance or links on this. My first 944 blew the timing chain and it was toast.

Thanks in advance.

Rob in Signal Mtn, TN.
Old 10-06-2013 | 08:46 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the S2 purchase! If you had a 968 you know what a gem the 3.0L motor is !

You nailed the big one in your post....the timing chain tensioner and pads.

You don't say what the mileage is on the car but I ( really my great mechanic) have done:

T-belt
Chain, tensioner/pads
Water Pump
Alternator
ABS pump
AC compressor
stub axles
Koni sports all around
Zimmerman rotors (vented) all around
clutch
lots of other things I can't remember (and my binder is not at arms length right now to look)

All of this was needed because the car had not see full/regular maintenance in a long time prior to my purchase.

Now the car is rock solid with the exception of what I am guessing might be a torque tube bearing that is getting noisy.

Do you do your own work or bring the car to a shop ?

Pics ?
Old 10-07-2013 | 07:34 AM
rob_marrow
4th Gear

Post Pics n Such.

thanks for the reply. I will do all the easy work myself but will leave certain things to a mechanic. I'll probably have the mechanic do the T-belt, chain tensioner and pads. Maybe a few other things. Mileage is 91K so I'll do all the service stuff before driving it much. One pic is attached.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2013 | 08:04 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Welcome back.

The car appears to be in pretty good condition, and once you complete the maintenance listed above it should be good to go for a while.

I just replaced the pads/tensioner last weekend in my '90 cab, along with the valve cover gasket, j-tube, and fuel lines. I used this link for the pad/tensioner replacement.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...ent-944s2.html

I do have a couple more items to take care off but the hard stuff is done.

I would recommend you leave the top in "manual" mode to avoid breaking the bows as they are very expensive to replace and almost near impossible to find.

Be sure to read the "S2 cabriolet" thread. There's a wealth of knowledge not too mention pictures posted in it.
Old 10-07-2013 | 10:30 AM
rob_marrow
4th Gear

Thanks. I'll read the thread on the replacement and maybe do it myself. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 10-07-2013 | 01:05 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Congrats and welcome back! Sounds like you nailed all the things you need to do.
Old 10-07-2013 | 05:24 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

I would second on a new unknown car

the pads/tensioner & j-tube

they are the most important and usually get missed

p.s. the pads, are not even mentioned in the porsche service
Old 10-09-2013 | 03:28 PM
ried
Racer

Congrats on your purchase! I picked up my '90 S2 coupe about six weeks ago and have loved bringing everything up to spec.

I second what Veleno wrote regarding tensioner pads, and the link he provided helped me tremendously. If you're handy with a wrench, you can do the tensioner pad replacement yourself in an hour or less.

You've already talked about the tensioner pads, timing belt, and water pump, oil and fluids (don't forget your air & fuel filters). Change out the brake fluid and transaxle fluids, too, if you don't know how long they've been in there. Spark plugs, too, with wires, cap and rotor at your discretion.

You might want to keep the stock radio around, too, after you've replaced it.

Also, there are lots of little lights around the interior that have probably burned out over the years. This thread is helpful, and replacing them is pretty easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...know-of-2.html

Quick Reply: New 944 S2 Advice