Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior lights you may not know of

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:47 AM
sRD944S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Untier:
<strong>pull out the clock and its on the back.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What is the recomended course of action with removing the clock? I am always nervous with working with stuff on the dash, since I dont want to crack or break any of the plastic parts. I found 2 screws under a cover, and one more under the small circular grate cover, but it seems to be sticking by the passenger side airvent. Are there more screws?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:15 AM
nwehtje944
Racer

the dash trim is easy to remove, just take it slow and be careful so that you don't break anything.

from an earlier post,

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">the clock is easy to get to, it just takes a little time. all you have to is remove 9 ( +/- 1) screws.

you don't have to remove the glove box. I can get to the clock in about 5min, but I've done this a few times.

first open the passenger side door, remove the one screw that holds that black triangle piece on that is covered when the door is closed. after removing that piece you'll see another screw which is attached to the long black middle piece that has the clock on it, remove that screw. use a flat head screw driver and pop off the A/C control cover, the black part. remove the four screws behind the cover. the last screw is behind the A/C temp sensor port. the port is the circle thing to the right of the cigarette lighter. to remove this piece, use a pair of pliers to turn the cover 90 degrees, which will unlock this piece. you'll see the last screw. pull the A/C control unit out approximately 1-2". then carefully, carefully start working out the long thin black trim which the clock is attached to. be carefully here, bcs its easy to break that long piece of plastic.
To remove the light bulb, first find the bulb which is a black part that sticks out of the right side of the clock. turn the light bulb 90 degrees to the (right?) and it should come out. the light bulb was used in several other cars, ie audi/ VW, so it shouldn't be that hard to find at an Euro auto parts place. $5-7 max, porsche part 944 641 900 00 </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">also I would check this out <a href="http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101/docs/DASH%20REMOVAL.doc" target="_blank">Dash Removal</a>
Old 04-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for putting that up, I remembered my clock lighting up when I bought the car a few years back. Then it disappeared all of a sudden .

As far as I know, with the lights off...the only light that is visible is from the headlight switch...then with the lights on. Every switch should have a light. Just an easy repair you may want to do, to keep the car looking right .
Old 04-30-2003, 05:08 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the light on the ash tray with a led, easy enough to do. Only drawback is that it can't be dimmed by the inst. lights dimmer.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone know how to replace the door sills lights or the steering wheel lights?

The ones I really want to replace are the ones that run right along the windshield (basically right at the top of the dash) - mine worked when I first got the car and I miss that glow in front of me.

944S Boyeee
Old 05-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Whaaaaaat. Where are these lights? I have an '88 S too....I should have them as well....I'll look around for them tomorrow...a picture highlighting the area would help.
I have not seen door-sill lights, and what is a steering-wheel light?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by led:
<strong>I replaced the light on the ash tray with a led, easy enough to do. Only drawback is that it can't be dimmed by the inst. lights dimmer.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Probably don't want that one dimmed anyways
Old 05-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Robert D.
I was just joking around.

I hope you didn't go looking for those lights, and furthermore, I hope you didn't find them, cause that would be REAL weird.

I like the way you replied with a big "Whaaaaat?"

That's exactly what I would say if some idiot said there were "steering wheel lights"!!!

944S Boyeee

Quick Reply: Interior lights you may not know of