Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spit out a plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 10:29 PM
TF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Spit out a plug

Had a mixed Porsche week. First I had a spiritual experience replacing motor mounts. The person ahead of me used super locktite on all the bolts so I ended up removing everything in sight and drilling out one upper bolt. I thought it was worth it when I found the right mount broken in half. I learned patience, a lot about my Porsche, and a lot about my mechanical skills. But on startup I find my steering wheel now vibrates pretty badly. I hope someone has some helpful comments on this. I then installed a K & N cone filter in my S2 a similar to Mr.Boerger sugested. Test ride felt great, not sure if it was the sound or power, but it felt & sounded faster. Now I was going to show my wife the improvement as I drove her to dinner tonight. When I down shifted to get the revs up to show her the power and sound a horrible noise followed, sounded like something blew apart. I drove back home, open the hood to find # 4 plug had blown out of its hole.When it cooled down I tried to reinstall the plug, but it won't seat. I need help to find out why the steering wheel now vibrates, but most importantly I need sugesstions as what to do with my plug problem. I hope there is a solution without having to replace the head.
THANKS for any help or suggestions. I love this car and want it back ASAP. THANKS
Old 06-17-2001, 02:49 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can probably Helicoil the plug, sounds like you got the engine crossmember back in a different position for your steering vibration, or a power steering hose is crimped up somewhere. It is possible to do the mounts in these cars without removing the crossmember but not if you have ceased bolts. You will need a wheel alignment if you have removed the rack anyway.

Quick Reply: Spit out a plug