Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core bypassed - 84 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 03:19 PM
Lew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Heater core bypassed - 84 944

The temperature control lever on my dash was jammed, and thanks to Skip and the Tech-Session board I was able to get to the controls. The jammed cable looks like it goes thru the firewall. I looked under the hood and the cable wasn't connected to anything. The two heater hoses from the firewall are just hanging, and a previous owner looped some hose from one side of the engine to the other to complete the coolant circuit. I'm guessing the heater core leaked and rather than fix it they just bypassed it. How much does it cost to replace a heater core? Is it as much a pain to do it yourself as other cars? (I'm not as limber as I used to be). What did the cable connect to? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:53 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is supposed to be a valve above the bellhousing that is cable operated. The tend to leak and ruin clutches so they were moved to the front on later models.
It is quite possible that the valve leaked, not the heater core. I would test it before replacing it, the valve is cheap.
The heater core is not the easiest thing to get to, I believe the dash has to be removed.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:55 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is supposed to be a valve above the bellhousing that is cable operated. They tend to leak and ruin clutches so they were moved to the front on later models.
It is quite possible that the valve leaked, not the heater core. I would test it before replacing it, the valve is cheap.
The heater core is not the easiest thing to get to, I believe the dash has to be removed.

Quick Reply: Heater core bypassed - 84 944