Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neglected 944 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001 | 06:18 PM
marko
2nd Gear

Post Neglected 944 turbo.

I recently got my hands on 944 turbo `86 that has been standing on the same spot in rain and shine for 8 YEARS !! The engine has only 57,000 miles on it.
Well the price was right so I bought it. Now I need to know what parts should I get replaced as a mater of course?

These are already on the list
-tires
-engine mounts
-all liquids
-most if not all rubber hoses

Also I need to check brakes and engine for rust

But what else?
Any pointers would be nice.

BTW. Original colour had been red but now it is more like orange and it has mould growing on the spoiler. Still there is almost no rust :-)
Old 06-14-2001 | 06:42 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Belts, especially the timing. I wouldn't consider even turning the thing over without changing that.

I suppose you might be able to salvage the rotors if you get them turned to get the heavy rust off and then repack the bearings. Look at the calipers and the pistons. I wouldn't want to retract those pistons much until you can clean them up. You may want to carve out the brake pads with a chisel or something to get enough clearance to pull them out and get the calipers off with out retracting the pistons. Master cylinder is cheap and that is probably shot by now.

Repack and new boots for CVC joints. Backflush cooling system. Fuel system is probably all gummed up and rusted. Man the list will be long.
Old 06-14-2001 | 10:33 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

There is a definite procedure for starting an engine that has been sitting for that long. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it right now. I'm sure that it is out there on the Internet somewhere, or maybe someone on the list can help this guy out?

If I remember, you have to remove the spark plugs and pour some motor oil down each cylinder. Let it sit for a while to work itself in and then crank the engine by hand. This should tell you if there is any damage or even rust in there. The rest I can't remember. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2001 | 09:14 AM
marko
2nd Gear

Thanks everybody for all the info. I have been thinking that maybe I should just open the motor before it is even turned. That way I hope to see if there is rust in the engine. Also I?m going to try to turn the turbo by hand and feel how freely it turns. That way there is at lest some feeling how much this is going to cost me.

Quick Reply: Neglected 944 turbo.