Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally . . .and a road trip report(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001 | 04:16 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking Finally . . .and a road trip report(longish)

Holy cow, I am finally able to post on the new board! A quick note:when Rennlist changed formats, my computer wouldn't allow me to log-in. Being un-savvy with a computer, I was perplexed. The network admin. at work(which is where I usually post from---shhh!) installed 5.5 and voila' post-ability.(Thanks to John D. and ribs for their help and input during the crisis.) Enough about my subpar computing skills--on to the Porsche-talk.
There has been mention on this board in the past concerning reliability/practicality of long-mileage trips in P-cars(especially considering the increasing age of most 924/944s). So, I thought I would share my recent 900-mile road trip experience to help alleviate any misgivings anyone may have. June 1-4, I loaded up the 951(86w/92K) with extra oil, coolant, cell-phone, TWO passengers, and luggage, and headed out to Long Island for a buddies' engagement party. I have to say that I was extremely satisfied with the car. Despite the extra weight(I scraped backing out of the garage), and being stuck in stop-go traffic on Long Island due to a 4-car accident, the car performed as I would expect for a Porsche. No overheating, failures,etc..and I only used one quart of oil--even with the minor cam tower leak. All-in-all it was a very uneventful,rewarding trip(esp. the triple-digit blast on the Turnpike). So, if anyone harbors any doubts about the reliability/practicality of a long road trip in the P-car. Read this testimonial and be saved. Can I get an "Amen".

Brother Eric(back on the boards...)
Old 06-13-2001 | 04:21 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Talking

Amen!!! I took my 83 944 with 115,000 miles on it from north jersey down to gainsville, FL! Not a problem on the trip! And we drove straight through! 22 hours on the way down due to a few extra hours spent on the Blue Ridge Parkway! 3am, 80mph, 100+deer. Good combo! I changed the oil once i got down to Florida, and the return trip home was uneventful as well! Go Porsche!
Old 06-13-2001 | 04:29 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I have driven my 1987 944 NA from Portland to Seattle and back (360 miles), as well as from Portland to Pendleton and back (twice, 400 miles). However, I have also had it leave me stranded (clutch slave cylinder).
Old 06-13-2001 | 04:33 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Eric, good to hear from you! So IE 5.5 fixed it? Anyways, I have never taken the 951 more than 250 miles from home, but its good to hear that she held up. I just talked to the autobody shop, and my car is taking longer than they expected...it should have been painted by now, but they won't finish the body work until tomorrow, and then they have to send it to paint and then alignment...the exhaust came today though, and she (girl at the body shop) said its pretty. Gosh...I gotta wait until the middle of next week for my car...can't stand it. Oh well, gotta run.
Old 06-13-2001 | 04:53 PM
MadMax
Pro

Cool

I live in Annapolis, MD and bought my car in Jacksonville, FL. Flew down and picked it up and drove it back 900 miles w/o a single hick-up. Of course, I had a PPI done by Brumos Porsche before I bought and the 75K service was just done. I still believe that Porsches are very reliable cars. My previous Porsche ('89 911) NEVER left me on the side of the road and I took several trips from Jacksonville to Palm Beach and back. You've gotta love these cars.

Max
Old 06-13-2001 | 06:28 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have taken my 84 944 (now 146+k miles) to visit my sister in Miami, and Rhode Island (when she moved). I think both trips were about ~800-860 miles long, door to door.

I have avaraged a little over 110mph, making trips usually at night (funny how secure these cars feel at higher speeds). It was a lot of fun, I get my license back in a little less than 4 months! Please drive carefully.
Ahmet
Old 06-13-2001 | 10:11 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Talking

Ditto everyone's thoughts here. I bought my car in New Jersey and drove it back to Chicago without a hint of a problem. Now its been over a year and I've only had 1 maintenance problem - leaking oil cooler seals. I did them myself, and voila, good as new. I've done a lot of work to the car, but its all been upgrades.
Old 06-13-2001 | 10:40 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

I will be doing the sf to el lay thing once the machine gets tuned (haven't had it long enopugh). funny how, per ahmet, the car *does* feel safer at higher speeds (no suprise there)... I know I could start another thread with this one, -> but I think it's wise to use a radar when travelling long distances (don't have one yet). to go even more off-thread: after driving on the Autobahn in 93, I've come to realize that (we) American drivers have absolutely zero idea about road manners. Clueless as can be... ! We have to remember that these cars were made for the autobahn and not I-80. Anyhow, my first ticket was in santa clara trying to get lunch one afternoon- got caught in a speed trap: 45 in a 30, with the cop hiding behind the speed limit sign on a curve, hence my insistence on radar detectors. jeeez...
Old 06-13-2001 | 11:54 PM
Jma_1
Advanced

Last Friday I drove up to Montreal for the F1 race. Driving mostly at night I made it in 6 and half hours, 490 miles. Same thing on the way back Sunday night. The car is an 87 944 na with 62k. No overheating, no oil burning of note, nothing dramatic at all at speeds up to 110+, in fact the car felt so good that my passenger was asleep most of the time. I have made that trip of number of times in various cars, this one was the most fun.
Old 06-14-2001 | 11:35 PM
ColinM
Intermediate

Cool

I gotta add my .02 on this one! I bought my 86 951 in Minneapolis, and drove it 4000 miles in 12 days into and east through Canada to home in mid May. One oil change in Toronto at Pfaff motors in Newmarket, thanks guys! Not one single problem at all, and only about 1/2 quart of oil burned the whole way. It was my intro to the car, and I LOVE IT! The only hiccough I had was turning a corner in northern Ontario to face a parked OPP car (Police) in a wayside. I thought I was done until I went past and he was catching a few zzzzz's! I recommend the Trans Canada Highway in Northern Ontario from Thunder Bay to Sault Saint Marie to any of you who haven't tried it out. Also take a look at the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton in eastern Canada. What a road in a P car!

What a machine!
ColinM

Old 06-15-2001 | 01:34 AM
Cobbs
Instructor

Getting ready to make a long roadtrip myself(2000mi) from Southern CA to St Louis, MO. Gotta admit I am a little worried. My car was pretty bacly neglected by the previous owner. Never been stranded anywhere but then again I have never gone more than 100 miles at one time. I have done everything I can within my means to restore this vehicle. Taking it to the dealer next week to get a alignment and hopefully that does it. Will let you know...
Old 06-15-2001 | 01:11 PM
John Chasse
Intermediate

JMA, your car isn't silver with aftermarket rocker panels by any chance is it?

If so, we were staying at the same hotel in Montreal on Grand Prix weekend.
Old 06-15-2001 | 01:49 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, with this many listers, we should've gotten together in Montreal... I went with some other listers from Detroit, and while we didn't drive our cars, we did party it up!!!
Old 06-15-2001 | 02:54 PM
Jon Shutz
AutoX

Cool

Since we're on the subject of long road trips...
1 month ago this weekend I drove non-stop (except for gas) to Lake Tahoe CA (where I use to live) from Santa Fe, NM driving my 1988 944NA (only 94k at the time!). Once I got there, I went to visit some friends in the Grass Valley and drove all around northern CA then back to Tahoe. The next day we made a, "short" trip to Reno and back. I then drove back to Santa Fe, NM, but not without taking a wrong turn on 395 rather than 95 and ending up in the Mojave Desert!!
Rather than continue on to the major interstate, my girlfriend and I decided to back track a little bit and take the, "short cut" on Rt. 190. For those of you who aren't familiar with the California Road system, Rt. 190 is the main road through DEATH VALLEY!
Would have been a lot more pleasant with A/C that worked!! Yep...we went straight through Death Valley with no A/C in 100+ temps up and over multiple mountains and valleys to regain our course through Las Vegas. For the record the car did not overheat but we almost did! The temp gauge almost reached the top thin marker (within operating range) but never quite reached it.
The most amazing thing about the trip, was that I did over 4000 MILES in 5 days!!! Not a single problem and only burned 2 quarts of oil!
However, the most amazing thing had to be the gas mileage I observed. The highest mileage on one tank I got was 550 miles before I refilled...and I still had 1.5 gallons left! The rough math is over 34 mpg!!! Amazingly hard to believe considering the elevation changes, high consistent speeds (average of 82 MPH) and blistering heat of the California Desert in midday. I got back to Santa Fe with no car problems whatsoever, but the odometer read 98,300..About a 4300 mile trip in 5 days
Old 06-16-2001 | 09:42 AM
Jma_1
Advanced

John C.,
No, mine is guards red. On the trip back, myself, a BMW 540 and a 911 took turns at the point and made it from the border to the NY Thruway entrance in Albany in two hours. I'll never know why we didn't get caught...

Quick Reply: Finally . . .and a road trip report(longish)