Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 evaporative emmissions canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 03:38 PM
johnr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 evaporative emmissions canister

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I am new to the list (and 944 ownership). My car smells like gas so I decided to check the charchol (how do you spell that?) canister and found that it looks O.K. except that there is a hose running from it under the body by the drivers side door. Right under the rear end of the door the hose stops and it looks like there should be something else connected to it (isn't it supposed to be a closed system?). Does anyone know where this hose should lead to?
Thanks, rennlist rocks!
Old 12-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not around a car right now, but I think that line is not connected but simply a release.

If you have a gas smell in the cabin there are some main areas of concern:
1. The gas cap itself has an O-ring; check for health.
2. The gas filler neck can develop leak at a connection, or even within the tube itself.
3. The tank level sender unit has an access cover under the rear carpet (right side middle). Very unlikely this will leak, but can... and is inside the cabin.
4. You may simply be running a bit rich and also be sucking the exhaust in through the rear deck seal. Common problem... to fix either replace the seal or adjust the seating of the hatch glass by adjusting the locking nubs. The rear of the spoiler area is very low pressure which causes enough vacuum to suck fumes into the car through a very small leak... accentuated when the windows or sunroof is open.
5. Maybe a leak inside the engine compartment, at or near the fuel rail. Check this first! Fire sucks... just ask some listers including myself... or more recently Perry951.

If the exhaust is too rich, you may need a new O2 sensor. Cheap and easy replacement item, good thing to do just for the heck of it.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 944 evaporative emmissions canister