Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Retorque my Head Nuts ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 07:27 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Do I Retorque my Head Nuts ?

I recently performed a rebuild on my 87 951 including o-ringed head, and wide fire head gasket. I now have about 1K miles on it and it seems to be mixing coolant into the oil. I get chocolate milk under the oil cap, and slowly lose coolant. My oil on the dipstick looks ok, although it seems to have turned black sooner than usual. I plan on replacing my oil cooler o-rings and gasket next week to be sure that is not causing the problem. My question is, is it possible there is a leak between an oil and coolant passage on the head gasket. Would you recommend retorquing the head? Is it customary to retorque the head after gasket replacement? Any advice is greatly appreciated. By the way, my performance is perfect, and I have no smoke like I had when I blew my head gasket originally.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:28 AM
Ganja Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retorque head nuts? I'd say yes.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:34 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

David,

If your using stock studs and nuts, and your mods are all basically bolt ons, with a wide fire gasket, then NO, please do NOT re torure your studs!!! Sounds like you have either:

torqued them wrong the first time, or...
the gasket was a failure frm the start, or....
you could have a faulty seal between your oil flter housing and your block...but you need to only once torue your studs with the stock hardware! race ware...yes, re torue.

Take Care,
Old 12-28-2001, 03:48 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, why retorque on the RaceWare studs and not the stock ones?

BTW, the headgasket job you did on my car has held up GREAT!!! No retorque here either...
Old 12-28-2001, 04:48 PM
fletch.
Instructor

The original torque specs for the a factory gasket were designed for asbestos gaskets. When asbestos gasket material was changed the torque spec changed. The old 14/36/65 ftlb was switched to 20ftlb and two 90degree turns (I can't find my book to verify the latter, but that is what I remember). I find no place where Porsche recommends to re-torque a head.

Have you changed the oil since the build? Residual water in the block can cause this. Other than that, sounds like you may have to revisit the problem.

Quick Reply: Do I Retorque my Head Nuts ?