Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick Strut advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 03:16 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need quick Strut advice

This should be simple...,

My right from strut is shot, awfully springy-springy. I just ringed my wrench to fill him in on replacement, he says to replace them both (new pair been on since last August).

The good news is that Performance Products said they will take it back, I figure that I'll have to buy some new one(s?) and send the defects back to minimize down time.

So,
Do I need to really replace them both? He says one worn out will kill the other one, kinda makes sense, but I dunno if P.P. will want to take them BOTH back? Or am I forgetting that they sell them in pairs?!

Maybe now would be a good time to get something a little bit stiffer, would 86 turbo struts be the same as the NA's? Would PP really dislike me then?! I need some suggestions folks...

Sooner I get this ordered, the sooner the summer fun factor can increase!

TIA
Old 06-13-2001, 03:19 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your mechanic is right. You always replace them in pairs.

Have your mechanic talk to PP if they don't listen to you.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:44 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shock talk? I'll play

Your mech and Tabor are err'ing on the side of caution. That's not a long time for new shocks to be in, and, may be okay with just replacing one. As far as shocks working in tandem... well, kind of. Your car is IFS (independant front suspension) which ultimately means they work separately. Realistically it depends on how many miles and what type of driving you did since August. When cruising down the highway, the shocks mostly work independant. If tracking, autocrossing, or spirited street-driving... they complement each other. One being bad will work the other a bit harder... should be able to take it though as they are fairly new (I'm assuming these are Boge's?). Babble, babble... PP may explain the "2 shock need" thing as being unnecessary... and explain it somewhat the same way.

On to your upgrade option: Your struts are inserts. All Turbo and 87+ models are sealed. You need only replace the cartridge... which reduces cost significantly. A Koni Sport (8641-1038S) will slip right in. The next problem being that the suspension is a tuned system. If upgrading the front, it's a good idea to upgrade the rear to match. Just providing your options.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Need quick Strut advice