Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911SC vs 928S4 vs 944 Turbo, which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 09:35 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "kid" speaks

Insurance is no problem. I have a clean record (though not that clean) and as such insurance on the 951 and 911 is minimal and with liability only of course. While I do have a minimal income (about $250) you must remember my food, housing and other things are paid for leaving me to use the money on whatever I want. Also insurance is paid off up front (luckily my parents continue to pay half of it, though for how long.....) and if I found an good car for the "real" price i've seen set in buying guides dedicated to porsches (like $8k to $10K). I found one near me with 93K for $8500 and talk that down some would leave me with a nice bit leftover for those repairs. Am i to assume that despite two mechanical inspections I should expect to spend 2K in the first year to get it up to spec? If after this last "attempt" a 911sc or 951 would be too much for me, let me know of some other good cars for auto x. i've got my eye on the eclipse gsx and mr2 turbo.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:17 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wash your mouth out with soap for even mentioning Jap cars on this board

What you could consider, get a very good example of the 944, post 85. Good points- great gas mileage, should be high 20's low 30's, looks, hatch back for moving stuff, great fun to drive. Also, these cars are very competitive in autox, just ask 1.2G. Purchase cost should be about $5-6K. But, for that money, if you look long enough, you could get a 951, however, the other point still stands, repair costs. If you don't do your own, expect them to be high. A $250 paycheck isn't a lot of money when you need a control arm at $250 rebuilt exchange and no labor factored in to install or align. If you haven't done any autox, allow me to be the first to inform you that it is VERY HARD ON THE HARDWARE! If you only go occasionally, it's not so bad. If you're serious like 1.2G, be prepared to spend either a lot of time or money or both on your car. You must also consider if you are wrenching yourself, most apartments will not allow you to work on a car in the parking lot. In addition, some repairs will require the car to sit for a day or too while you get parts. There are not a lot of Porsche parts at NAPA. As for insurance, don't even consider going without comp/collision. Price parts for body work and you'll see what I mean.

If it sounds like I'm being a hard case, I am. I've been having a near exact copy of this thread with my son. It took a calculator, pad of paper, parts catalog, ins quotes, and a bunch of budgeting for him to see the picture. He has a truck but will sell it after school and buy a Porsche. I don't want you to not want a Porsche, I just don't want you to get one, be unable to properly keep it up, and get discouraged on Porsche ownership. They are great cars and I've enjoyed mine alot thus far. BTW- it's up on jackstands in my garage while I get the cv joint problem resolved (just a point to consider).

On other notes- where are you going to college? My sis in law gradutated from Clearwater Christian and the wife is from the Port Richey area. So you see, I really do know about snowbirds and bluehair bingo fiends.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Lars
Instructor

DaveM says go for a truck, I say go for a 0-60 in 6.5 second at 14psi boost early 80s volvo.
Faster, handles better than a truck and almost any sports car, European like a german car but more comfortable, and is safer, can drive int the winter.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Lars ]
Old 06-18-2001, 10:25 PM
SHRKBIT
Racer

Sorry to address the original topic, but:
Originally posted by R. Miller:
<STRONG>I have a good delima. I have about $10,500 max to spend on a used Porsche. I've found the three models that would best suit me to be a '78+ 911SC, a '87+ 944 Turbo or a 928S4</STRONG>
You're not going to find a good specimen of a 928S4 for 10.5 kilobucks. In addition, folks generally suggest that you have an addition 10% of the purchase price in your pocket for repairs once you buy the car. Like any car, a 928 can be expensive to repair, especially if you purchase a below-market (poorly maintained) example. Keep in mind that the 928 is packed full of "features."

Earlier models are desirable, too. You might take a look at www.928s4vr.com , which contains a guide for buyers.

One of these days I'd like to add a 911 SC to the stable...

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: SHRKBIT ]
Old 06-18-2001, 10:29 PM
Dave
Race Car

Figure on the better part of that 2k in the first year or so just for maintanence. Even if you find any of the cars listed, in perfect condition, the fact is an annual tune up, a few oil changes and a set of good tires will eat up the first grand, and on any car of this age, an unexpected repair or two per year is likely.
You didn't want to hear that any more than the truck/suv recomendation (if you did, you wouldn't have posted here in the first place) so heres one that might be a happier compromise, a 944 n/a. If autocross is your intent, the difference between a 944 and a 951 is minimal, (almost non existant on a second gear course) the purchase price will be less, and your half of the Ins. should be less too. The upkeep may be a little less as the parts are usually a little cheaper.
951s 928s and 911s can come later, but why start with anything but a Porsche.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:37 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

I think many of you oldtimers forget at my age i'm required to keep in mind the adverse effects of getting a "non-pretty" car such as a 914 or god forbid an old volvo. That solved I plan to auotx only for fun, such as one or two weekends a month with two a max as sailing takes up alot of time. What a tough life! I don't want a 944N/A since i'm getting basically, less hp than a 951 only same repair costs. I'd take the "jap car".
Old 06-18-2001, 11:10 PM
Dave
Race Car

If its HP you want, you could always give up sailing.
Dave
'88 27'SeaRay
Just kidding... don't want to start the power/sail thing here
Old 06-18-2001, 11:26 PM
R. Miller
Intermediate

i love both sail and power. we have a '87 22' sea ray but how can that compare to sailing 30+ mph winds on a 16' boat?
Old 06-18-2001, 11:40 PM
Dave
Race Car

I never got the sailing end of boating, but thats just me. Enjoy, you've got some good water for it down there. I've only autoxed a few times so far, but it's got me ready to sell the boat. Fortunatly, PCA around here only runs 1 a month.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:51 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I too love sailing. I used to do it every other week with my father. But he decided to sell his boat. I think if I had to choose between cars and sailing, I would actually pick sailing.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:00 AM
R. Miller
Intermediate

that's because you've a 944 n/a.... just kidding.... well sorta.... since you do have an n/a let me ask why? handling compared to an import like acura integra/honda prelude etc. is just as good with equivalent hp though i'm sure actual hp is higher than a 944 since the 944 is much older.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:25 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Well, here it goes:

I was 16 and was driving a 1984 Honda Accord that had seen better days. It needed a new carborator, and many other thinks. The carborator alone would have cost as much as the car was worth.

I decided that I wanted a 1992 Acura Integra GS-R. It was basically the prototype for the Type R that you see today.

But I didn't have the $8,000 that it would take to acquire one, if you could even find one for sale! They were very reliable and the owners didn't want to sell them!

Anyway, a friend of mine told me about the 924/944 line. So I was interested. Then, he got a 1981 924 NA. And I drove it. And I fell in love with the steering feel and the handling.

So, I managed to muster together $4,000 at my $12/hr job (with some help from relatives). And purchased a 1987 944 NA for $2,600. This left a nice cushion for immediate repairs.

Mind you, this was not a Good example of a 944, but I was not afraid to work on it. Now I have brough it almost entirely up to snuff. I am also happy to say that, even including wheels I don't have more than $6,500 into the car. That means I could actually recoup my money!

Now I could afford am Exellent condtion Turbo S, if I really wanted one. Oh well. I own this car out right. I plan to do a 968 engene swap soon. You see, I don't really like the 944 Turbo. This car is my daily driver, and I am more concerned about low end than all-out-Autobahn-burning-top-end-power. Maybe I will buy a 944 Turbo for a track car some day. Or Turbocharge the 968 engine! Now that could be some fun! Actually, Huntley Racing is coming out with a Supercharger kit, sometime. They have had some setbacks.

So there you have it. At first it was becuase it was cheeper. But then it was becuase I fell in love with it.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Tabor Kelly ]
Old 06-19-2001, 01:21 AM
Lars
Instructor

Sailing? The only small boat to sail and have the most fun is a Laser. Out at the lake here windsurfers have got to 50 miles/hour, they have little wind speed things they stick out, lasers are just a big windsurfer with a seat in it, wow fun fun, try it, spooky if your not young.
Volvos....they have love/hate looks, people who grow up eith em like em, just liek the 928, sorta looks like an AMC pacer, actaully, looks alo like one, some people hate them.

Ahoy!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:36 AM
R. Miller
Intermediate

A laser is the most fun? While it is a fun sail, have you ever sailed a byte (or mega byte if your bigger)? What about a 29er or an I14? Now those last two are fast as hell. On a mild day I've kept up with windsurfers on a byte, though lookout when the wind picks up.....
Old 06-19-2001, 07:23 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, I didn't read all the posts since my last one, but when you guys talk about lasers and stuff, I have to chip in...

I sailed a boat called 'optimist' for a few years in turkey, I'm wondering if the name for the boat is the same here?

And look at this for an off topic post, wow!
Ahmet

Quick Reply: 911SC vs 928S4 vs 944 Turbo, which to buy?