Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM
unclebobg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door handle repair

I hate these handles! Mine are always breaking. Okay, this is my fourth 944 and I still can't figure out how to fix the handles.

Does anyone have any clear pictures of what the lock situation on the inside of the door looks like? Or a video showing how to fix them?

Any help appreciated. I can do a lot of things on my car but for some reason I can't seem to understand this procedure,
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the best DIY Door Handle Repair I've found is in Clarks-Garage.com.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-12.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 07-10-2015, 12:15 AM
redmill
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default old post , different? technique, a rare DIY contribution :-)

Hopefully this helps someone, it was trial and error for me.

i did have much luck following clarks , i removed the handles to do a body wrap, and broke one linkage in the process. First door handle reinstall took 2-3 hours till i went to this technique of separating the linkage, it took 30 minutes from there, second handle took 20 minutes
Basically. the linkage has a bunch of bends, with the handle attached it was difficult to control the placement of the rubber piece onto the nipple(?). There is so much more room to work without the handle attached to the linkage.

The linkage is much easier to place nipple when the handle is upside down, but that didnt help, because i couldnt get the handle reorientied. Witht he linkage off the handle, it was easy.

Also it was easier on the second handle when the white plastic piece was on the handle rather than first attached to the car.

To supplement clarks (no pics sorry)
1) tape the doors to prevent scratching, blue tape is fine
2) ** Push out the wrist pin that holds the linkage to the door handle, note the orientation or the cam that interacts with the handle trigger, it points towards the door.
3) put a small piece of tape to control the black rubber piece from spinning on the threaded part of the linkage.
4) put a small wire or wire tie through the hole where the write pin came out. put a bigger wire tie one through the loop so there is NO WAY for it to fall in the door hole ( that stuff happens to me ALL the time)
5) Hold the linkage below the pivot so your are maximum control as you aim the rubber part on the nipple.
6) put the linkage in the door backwards so the cam is pointing to the back of the car ( 100% easier to place the rubber receiver on the nipple)
7) I used a big screw driver to push receiver on the nipple.
8) once attached, twist the lever in the hole 180 degrees on the thread, the came should face the front of the car now
9) tape up the hole so the wrist pin cant fall in.
10) attach white plastic piece to door
11) remove wiretie, push cotter pin. i started with a light punch and hammer then pliers to squeeze in fully.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just as another option, you can use VW handles instead.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...n-a-944-a.html

Is your handle itself broken, or the linkage / swing arm?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you clean up the lock and release assembly, if they are clean you don't break handles so easily.

Quick Reply: Door handle repair