Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A day in the life...[A 951 story]

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002 | 03:45 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Post A day in the life...[A 951 story]

My little adventure started out on a Friday night at 4:45 Central time in a blue buick le sabre in Decatur, Alabama. From that point we travelled only stopping to eat in Knoxville Tennesse for 22minutes to Roanoke Virginia, where we arrived at 1:48 A.M. We lodged at a hotel(Comfort Inn if it matters), and were up and out by ~7:00 A.M. Then travelled to Centreville VA, this is where we met the guy selling the car, talked, looked at it thoroughly, got all the paperwork, etc etc. On the way back I of course was driving my newly found love, but it didn't quite set in until about 1.5 hours that, OMG I HAD A 951!! So the way back I was following my dad through VA with the Patrol EVERYWHERE, but in some areas, I'd fall back at 65mph and let him get a good bit ahead and not even floor it in 5th and go so fast LOL. After, really 2 hours of just doing that I decided it was time to downshift, I went to fourth and FLOORED it, it hit 3KRPM and I felt this woompf then it hit 4 and it was like a secondary WOMPF and I kinda was like "GASP" and I let off, and played some more as we went. Later on I was goin down a very, ummm, DEAD hiwaay in TN somewhere, and I let the speedo go to hrm, say 60mph while I was in 5th, and my dad was along way away now, so I just put it in third and flat floored that sucker, and OMG I thought I was going to die, the needle seemed to instantaneously go from 80 to 90, swear to god it just JUMPED like a damn second hand on a clock(the kind that tick not slowly move in a constant acceleration). Well, see for about 9 hours I had done nothing but gradually accelerate to get to interstate speed and mostly after that not really ever pressed it hard at all, until we stopped in Knoxville on the way back to eat a sub......And when we were going through some back roads to avoid the wreck on the Interstate, I would come off these stop signs like a bat out of hell it was so fun I didn't know what to do, yell, clap, hit my head on the wheel, jump out of the sunroof, I just didn't know haha. In an instant it seemed i was goign 60MPH in a 55 zone - (that kinda put a dampen on it). These cars are truly amazing............
A little info on the motor:
-for those that didn't know already, this motor was originally rebuilt with intent to put it at ~550HP at the flywheel, with all SORTS of mods! The head mechanic and HPL, (or is it HBL?) that is now owner of some RedLine place built the motor for him to supposedly 'much stronger than stock specs', I duno how you do something like that, but whatever. He already had the Stage II Chip, boost enhancer, and testpipe on the car when I got it. About 1 week before I called about the car his job had changed and he had to sell the car, when that happened he was in the process of fixing to buy the larger (alot larger at that) turbo, the MAF, and some kind of 'wastegate' and intercooler, yet he didn't because he was selling it... Not that any of this matters but it sounded really cool to a 17 year old. There are currently 18.7K on the rebuilt motor and 120K on the car (but the ODO says 140, I think cuz he has used lower profile tires since it had 70k on it or so)
-A little about the car.
-Color: Pull Me Over Red
-Year: 1987
-Wheels: 968
-Tires: BF Goodrich Comp TA's
-Susp.: Koni Yellow Sports on all 4 corners, x-drilled rotors, 'racing pads', new wheel bearings.
-Inter.: SO perfect looking OMG.
-Ext: The front valence thing is the only thing that is faded (????). Original paint
-Stereo: Kenwood something another with an 'EQ'. The front speakers are replaced, not rears.
-Alarm: Some badass alarm that has to many things than I want to fool with.
--It came with ALL the records, a cover with a lock, the original catalytic converter, the original speakers, but not the original wheels...
--It has a neat little thing on there where if I pull back the brights it flashes really fast on and off. ---Also has "Euro Foglights"
-all options
I'll have pics after I get to borrow a good camera.
Old 01-27-2002 | 04:59 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

You dirty dog........Say, arent you "ganja porsche"?
Old 01-27-2002 | 08:47 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes he is. He's one lucky son of a gun too.

You better not smoke IN or drive that 951 AFTER smoking "ganja" or I will head down to Alerbama and reposess the car from you. And be careful - there are enough 17 year olds killing themselves in cars now days, and there are enough 951's in the junk yard. I write this with complete seriousness.

Congrats man and good luck.

-Matt
Old 01-27-2002 | 12:09 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

I feel ya Matt, I've already taken all of that into consideration, believe it or not I was rather responsible with how I 'learned' the car. Buying this car was a sure low blow to the pocket book though, I have to pay my dad back 30% or so. G'day
Old 01-27-2002 | 01:22 PM
felonious shitake
Track Day

Cool bro but don't ever dis some kid for driving a POS he or she paid 100% for.
Old 01-27-2002 | 08:10 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

If the ODO says 140K miles, it has 140K miles or damned close to it. Even if the actual miles the front-wheels have travelled is less, the drivetrain, engine, and transmission have turned every bit of that 140K miles to get the odo to that point. Keep that in mind.

Besides, if the person used, say, 0.75" lower profile tires than stock, you're still only talking about 5% speedometer error at the most. 70-140K miles is 70K recorded. 5% of 70K miles is 3500 miles. So, 140K would really be 136.5K miles in a BEST case scenario. 120K is dreaming your car had lower mileage than it really does.

Greg

Quick Reply: A day in the life...[A 951 story]