Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should I buy tools for belt change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where should I buy tools for belt change?

I am gearing up to do my first balance/timing belt change and am planning to buy standard tools rather than the special offset 27mm wrench and pin spanner. The problem is that I can't find a pair of large needle-nose vice grips or 90 degree needle nose pliers to use in place of the specialty tools. I have checked Craftsman and Kobalt websites, any other suggestions?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you looked in stores? A curved nose pliers is a pretty common tool, I see them in Sears, Harbor Freight etc. all the time.

While a curved nose pliers should be fine for counter holding the pulleys, I'd stongly recommend getting the flywheel lock and some kind of tensioning aid for this job also. If you can't borrow them from someone, Arnnworx is the way to go. They also have the special wrench and pulley holder too.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Harbor freight has good 90 degree pliers.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Thanks for suggesting Harbor Freight. I normally avoid them due to quality issues I've seen in the past, but the reviews seem pretty good. Now I just wish I had known this before I drove past one yesterday afternoon.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

They are at hardware stores, too. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the flywheel lock since I plan to keep my 944 and as such I have used it 4 times already. I bought the 90 degree long handle needle-nose pliers at Harbor freight. As for tensioning gauges, you can spend the money if you want but after a lot of research, I chose the "backyard mechanic" method which has served me well: Tension the timing belt to the point where you can barely turn the water pump pulley by hand. On the balance belt idler, there should be about a credit card clearance between the idler and the belt. As far as tension on the balance belt, I twist the longest (vertical part) section to where it's more than 90 degrees but not as far as 180 degrees. These belts visually appear sloppy compared to any other belt on the car. Don't worry about that. After you've finished turn the motor by hand and recheck the tension. After the car is running, if you hear a whine from the belt area, it could be the balance belt is too tight. After 1500 miles for the belts to settle into the gears, you should re-tension them again for the long haul. That should be good for around 35 to 40 thousand miles (or 5 years). Water pump should be replace "every other" set of belts. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
Harbor freight has good 90 degree pliers.
Yep, think I paid $6 for mine. Works like a charm.

I purchased the lock from Rennbay IIRC. Made my own thin wrench (27mm?) for the rollers etc.

Michael
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

The only special tool I used was the flywheel lock. But also a right angle screwdriver was helpful in getting all hose clamps tight enough. Some of those clamps are in awkward places.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pin spanner is worth $50 if you have a spring tensioner car. Makes it super easy to retract. I would get it.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 516 Posts

For the tensioners/idlers I took a spare 3/4 wrench and ground it out to 27mm, then ground the sides down to about 3/16 thick. It has survived probably 50 belt jobs over the years without a problem.

The $50 pin tool is well worth it, and doubles as a hammer in a pinch.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

The below is about the best I've seen for changing out the Cam / Balance Belts also Water Pump. It is in 3 Parts. You really need to buy the Flywheel Lock in order to maintain a positive (TDC) Top Dead Center.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnnworx
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the spanners to hold the rollers are easy enough to make with a piece of scrap steel or two and some pins - just weld it up. You can loosen the bolt before you remove the belt, take the drive roller to your shop, put a couple of pins in the holes and weld them to your piece of steel and have a proper spanner in 5 or 6 minutes. The wrenches are easy to find stamped out of metal, you don't need much strength.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Costco used to sell a blister pack of about 6 different pliers, including jumbo long needlenose 90 degree and 45 degree ones, for about $18 for all six. I just wrapped electrical tape on the tips of the 90 degree pliers, which then fit perfectly into tensioner pulley holes, the tape keeps the pliers from scratching. Works as well as or better than the factory tool, and has all the other uses of pliers vs. single use factory tool, at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Krikit tool has been used for decades by too many people to be faulty: If it weren't up to the job, we'd know by now. Also, note the tension specs in the book, and that there is a considerable margin +/-. This tells us that the tension setting is not all that critical.

As an alternative, I believe some of the US cars have tension tools for use in similar belts, and are available pretty cheaply. Or, using the torque forumla, you could rig up a tool made of wood and a hanging weight held at the proper distance from the axis of the pulley, i.e. X torque = Y pounds at Z distance from the pivot. No gauge tool can be more accurate than that, but, again, the exact torque is not all that critical.

A local mechanic just uses the twist-belt-by-finger/thumb method, for decades, with no ill effects reported.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

I managed to get the balance shaft pulleys using the 90 degree pliers from HF. I had read somewhere that you could do the belt change without pulling the crank pulley bolt, so I didn't get the flywheel lock, but I didn't realize that I had no choice if I was doing the water pump too. I figured out that a stout flat-head screw driver wedged between the flywheel and ground works really well if you jack the car to just the right height. Now I am on hold until I can run out to get retaining ring pliers for the thermostat. I almost get a pair while I was at HF just because they were cheap, I didn't realize that I would need them for this job. Grrrr.

Quick Reply: Where should I buy tools for belt change?