Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best paint Gun, what is the best paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is the best paint Gun, what is the best paint?

I need to repaint my 944. What is the best paint gun? And what is the best paint? Obviously there is probably not a *best*, I am just looking for some opinions. As many as possible.

Thank You
Old 06-11-2001, 09:53 PM
Rog
Advanced

Hi,

Being in the middle of such a job (my first full car painting - just relatively small bikes in the past) right now, and for the last couple months (it's on top of a day job and two side gigs) I'll jump in and comment.

Also being a guy with mostly German 2 and 4 wheelers, I've went the German paint route.
I'm doing Spiess Hecker on the Porsche, but have done that and Glasurit in the past on bikes. Great stuff. Our domestic 3M stuff is actually quite good too. In hindsight, I might have saved cash and went 3M, or even one of the good house brands from places like NAPA. Barring complete crap paint (hard to find) the real determiner will be the quality of your prep work, and that by a large margin too. You could make an argument (I'm questioning myself right now) that you'd rather sand off and reshoot cheaper paint than more expensive. Some of that is inevitable on ones first job. I'd recommend NAPA or 3M, in that context. I've used them on cheap jobs with results that are fine. Though I'm using Spiess Hecker now, it's mostly for snob appeal, both mine, and more directly, that of my Porsche and painting mentor. It's really good, but I don't have enough experience to justify the extra expense, if the truth be told.

Similarly, a german Sata gun, model 95 or 2000 is great, for 400 bucks. There are many cheap clones of it (Harbor Freight, and JCW etc) that are 95% as good for 1/8 to 1/4 the money.

Another sweet spot is the new DeBleviss (sp?) They have a nice one for 150-200 that uses bag liners that GREATLY ease cleanup and keep you from dripping on your new paint when you tilt the gun too much. I've watched one in use, but haven't used it myself. I'm contemplating buying one to replace my friend's mooched (and not always available) Sata.

good luck
good times
roger

p.s.

advice: go the the local porsche junkyard and buy a cheap dented piece, like a nose or crunched other panel, and practice on it. You will NOT regret it. Can't recommend it enough.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Rog ]
Old 06-12-2001, 12:09 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I personally like Sikkens the best, check out there site http://sikkens.com
Old 06-12-2001, 01:19 AM
TurboTim
Banned

I have used PPG paints in the past with great success.For custom colors House of Color paints are awesome(but very expensive).For the paint gun I use a nice Top loader.You can get these from just about anywhere.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com

Quick Reply: What is the best paint Gun, what is the best paint?