Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 07:25 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Busted turbo

I had ther pleasure of swapping out my old 110K miles turbo on my 951 last weekend with a rebuilt unit and fixed the following expected issues-
1- smoky exhaust under boost
2- leaking coolant
2a- leaking oil
3- replacement of all rubber connections between intercooler, turbo and intake

I as able to fix one unexpected issue as well-
1. elimanation of a serious vibration due the bolt between the turbo/exhaust mounting flange and the block. This bolt was not re-installed by the previous owner when he dropped the exhaust for a clutch change. The vibration was persistant and mysterious, but thank goodness, it's gone now.

But here's the BIG surprise- because the bolt between block and flange was omitted and vibration was significant, the turbo came out in two pieces. Two pieces! The turbo's flange that mounts to the motor mount, oil gallery was completed severed from the turbo body, and not due to any of the gymanastics required tro puill the turbo out.

The exhaust mounting to the turbo must have placed quite a strain on the turbo body flange mount to the motor mount, and this strain, I hypothesize, is the cause of the fratcure. The turbo body had been leaking oil for a while, messy, but not scary amounts. I guess the weight of the whole assembly was pushing down on the fractureed flange sufficiently to keep most oil from escaping.

But what a surprise, and ultimately, what a wonderful thing to have my undercarriage clean and dry.

BTW, I remebered to re-install the flange to motor M10 bolt.

Steve Cooper
Old 06-12-2001, 07:28 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p.s. going to the Porsche museum in Zuffenhausen this thursday, unless they're closed for the holiday...

Quick Reply: Busted turbo