Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control System

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 03:16 PM
Phantom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Climate Control System

Hello all.

Well, I finally got my 85.5 944 NA back a week ago from my mechanic after two months. Believe me, its a long story.

Anyway, I have been having problems with the climate control system, or as I prefer to call it, the devil incarnate, blowing warm (not hot) air all the time. He replaced the temperature sensor and everything worked great until yesterday. The system actually blew cool air when the A/C was on, for the first time in seven months. The system has started acting up again. I was driving down the road with the A/C on and the side dashboard vents stopped blowing cool and started emitting warm air, even though the center dashboard vents still were blowing cool air. I tried the defroster and floor vents and they would only blow warm air. I had a couple stops to make and half way home all the vents just started blowing cool air.

In summary, the center dashboard vents blow cool air while all the other vents blow warm, and then they will all blow cool without any action on my part.

I hope someone can shed some light on my problem, because the car gets too hot to be comfortable to drive in warm weather. And after seven months of trying to fix it, I've become pretty disgusted. I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:39 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most lokely you have a failure of a small plastic piece that controls the heater flap (I can't think of a better word). The piece is relatively cheap and simple to replace. If you go under the dash (drivers side) there is a shield to remove and this exposes the "mechanism". THe broken part is obvious. "Excellence" mag had an article on this fix a while back, but I do not remember the issue. Any help out there guys?

Good luck..

Bob S.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:56 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(Warning: long) Phantom, you've got an odd set of gremlins there... the two ususal failure modes & culprits that I'm aware of are:

A) Hot air all the time (AFAIK from _all_ vents). This is caused by the infamous broken plastic clip that Bob mentioned.

B) Unprecictable intermittent hot air from all vents..BT,DT... most commonly caused by corrosion in the plugs on the temp sensor circuit, in my experience.

For your strange one, I'd start by pulling the climate control panel from the dash and cleaning all the pins & sockets on the plugs on the back of it. I'd also spend some time upside-down under the dash tracing the vent hoses back to the central unit and seeing which flaps control what, and looking to see how the flaps are activated (motor, vacuum, etc). Then be sure that all related electrical plugs are tight & corrosion free, and that all vacuum lines are in place, not leaking, cracked, etc.

You can maybe at least kill the problem temporarily by finding the heater valve (back of engine, too long ago to to recall exact location, different on my 968, try following hoses), pulling & plugging the vacuum actuator line, and wiring the lever in the closed position. This doesn't fix the problem, but makes the car driveable.

Jim, headed for the rain locker & work...

Quick Reply: Climate Control System