Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found - source for cool brake air ducting

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 02:38 PM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow found - source for cool brake air ducting

There have been several posts over the past months about finding a source for sturdy, heat-resistant ducting for running cooling lines from the air intake to the backing plates on the cool brake kits.

I finally found good some good ducting at a local aircraft supply store. It is a silicone based "vinyly-plastic" type of duct, with VERY strong wire coils on the inside supporting the structure. The aircraft shop sold it by the foot (I needed about 3 ft per side), unlike some of the race-shops that sell it in a minimum 10 or 25 ft. Price was $10/ft....not cheap, but then I didn't really shop around.

The ducting should handle the brake temps well, given the silicone construction, and seems to be pretty durable to handle the occasional wheel scuff under tight turning.

I installed mine this weekend, and it went on well with one pipelock (metal circular band ratchet-thingy), and some zip-ties. The wire supports are great, as they allow you secure it very easily and tightly with zip ties without collapsing the ducting.

It comes in several different sizes, in about 1/4" steps, so fitting should be easy. The sizes I looked at were "size 13" - 3.25" diameter, and "size-14" - about 3.5" diameter. Ask for "single-walled, low-pressure silicone-based air ducting".

If anyone can't find it from their local aircraft shop (or don't have one nearby), send me an email and I can get you the ph# of my store I bought at...they said they would mail order it if someone wanted them to.

This certainly will hold up better than my last attempt at ducting (aluminum dryer hose).

txhedg@hotmail.com
Old 06-11-2001, 03:45 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

I had to take mine off (I had plastic dryer hose+aluminum for the last foot or so near the brakes)for an alignment on friday, as I was reminded that I'd be running in a stock class at the auto-x on saturday/sunday...

I think racerswholesale also sells brake ducting, could be another source to look at.

Keep us updated as to how it works, and pictures would be nice.

Thanks for posting this info btw.
Ahmet
Old 06-12-2001, 12:13 PM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

You are right.....Racer Parts Wholesale does sell the stuff.......it can be seen at:

Ducting

the stuff I bought was the higher temp hose at the bottom of the above page.

RPW is cheaper per foot, but you have to buy in bulk (11ft). I only needed to do one side of the car, so mine was cheaper, and I needed it same day. Plus, I forgot that RPW sold the ducting

I'll eventually post a pic once I get a dig camera, but right now, a camera = 1/2 set of track tires, so I'm trying to keep my priorities straight

Quick Reply: found - source for cool brake air ducting