Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior light/clock/cig lighter fuse blew - why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 09:47 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Interior light/clock/cig lighter fuse blew - why?

I noticed Sat morning that my clock had reset to 12:00. Started car, reset clock, (also had to reset clock in radio). Stopped car, and clock went out completely. When I got back in, it had lost time. It finally stopped working altogether. Then I noticed that my interior lights were not working either, so I suspected a fuse. It was blown. This fuse doesn't control the radio though, does it?

Replaced fuse and all appears ok now. Any ides what would cause the fuse to blow, and why my radio clock would get reset?
Old 06-11-2001, 10:25 AM
MadMax
Pro

Unhappy

Tom,
I have no idea. Sorry I can't be of help. It could just be a 'ghost in the machine'. Sometimes electrical gremlins just rear there ugly heads and then disappear. If it happens again then I would start pulling the dash apart to find the problem. But since that is such a PITA I would wait to see what happens and just carry an extra fuse or two. Let me know how it turns out.

Max
Old 06-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suspect a short caused by moisture. Check for water coming in somewhere. Don't rule out condensation from a high-humidity situation where cool temps overnight caused it to precipitate out somewhere on something that didn't like it.

Good luck

Thaddeus
Old 06-11-2001, 10:41 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You didn't mention if the radio is the origonal or not, and I'm not sure if it matters, but most aftermarket radios use 2 power leads. The first is used to power all the normal radio functions and may or may not be switched on and off with the ignition, while the second is a constant source to maintain clock and preset memories. In most cars the easiest place to get this constant 12v is the lighter or clock, and these are often the same circuit. This is most likely the reason for the radio to have lost it's memory.
Also, just a guess as to why the fuse may have blown, lighter sockets are just awful engineering, it's possible that when plugging in or removing something (Cell phone, radar, G tech, etc) from this socket a little twist or tilt may have shorted it out. HTH
Old 06-12-2001, 12:22 PM
Dano_944
Instructor

Wink

Tom - This happened to me this past winter, I went thru 3 fuses before finding the culprit.... bad seals in the door jam switches that operate the interior light. Pull the switches out of the doors (both sides, phillip's head screw) and look for a 'cooked' connection at the wire. If you see discoloration, or a bad piece of rubber, change the switch(s). They are cheep, easy to install, and you won't loose the light/clock/lighter again.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Interior light/clock/cig lighter fuse blew - why?