Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Products

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 05:22 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MSD Products

WHere can i get the MSD 6al ingnition and the BLater 2 coil I was just quoated 400= dollars for the MSD 6al from my local distributor of parts. That's insane! please inform me of a resonable vendor of these parts

Thank you
Old 01-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeg's or Summit are good bets. There are cheaper sources, but may not have any stock of them. $400 is way too much.

Skip
Old 01-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd like to know too. I saw them in Performance Products and I don't think they were that much - I just can't find my catalog and the website sucks really bad. It is and has always been slow and error-riden for me. May be just me though... If you find out how much they are from Performance please shoot me an email. I have store credit there and have been wanting the MSD setup like you said...

-Matt

EDIT:
I found it at www.summitracing.com (thanks Skip) but I'm not sure which one to get. Do I have to get a specific one for an 89 944 na? Skip, which one should I get? I know you have this setup and like it very much...
Old 01-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have the 6A (without rev control) and am very pleased with it. The 6AL includes a rev limiter through the use of "pills". These "pills" that step down the redline in 200RPM increments. The included pills of use to you are 7k and 6k. I've heard of Tachometer problems with the 6AL unit... needs the special tach adaptor *on some models* (still not enough replies to set a sure pattern). I still have no certain data as to if you can raise the rev limit by using the stock or other chips and the RPM pills in the 6AL.... I assume not, as I think the pills only kill the redline if lower than the preprogrammed one. If anyone out there knows this stuff for sure, please do tell.

The 6A can have a separate RPM limiter connected to it if needed at a later date. I'd choose the 6A based on price for function... the rev limit from the factory or any chip you might get would be very sufficient (unless you find a chip without a rev limit... they do exist)

If you had a Turbo, then the 6BTM would be the right choice, as it includes an on-boost timing retard adjustment.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks Skip.

Could you do a quick run down on exactly what I'd be replacing if I got a 6A ignition and Blaster 2 Coil? So you are running both right? I noticed you don't sell these? Will you be selling them soon? I'd just assume get them from you.

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT:
Also, what is beneficial about your high performance ignition wires you sell, compared to others I've heard, such as Nology?
Old 01-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

MSD expressly states not to use solid core/Nology type wires with their ignition products. Magnecor all the way baby!
Old 01-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Russ, are the ones Skip sells Magnacor?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Yup.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[quote]Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<strong>MSD expressly states not to use solid core/Nology type wires with their ignition products. Magnecor all the way baby! </strong><hr></blockquote>

The MSD statement of solid core wire has more to do with the resistance of a complete wire (including ends), rather than the type of core. This was discussed at length some time ago (in the archives I hope), but the final answer is: Solid core wires are supplied as original equipment on your car. The wires itself has negligble resistance. The BERU ends are resistive and provide for adequate supression (~300ohms, but this is dependant on current level). Magnecor and most other off-the-shelf wires use stranded wire which is resistive by X amount per foot (usually 150-400 ohms/ft, again, dependant on current level). Not that there's a huge difference in where the resistance comes from, but you can see that different length wires will provide disparate amounts of resistance. The function of solid core wires with BERU resistive ends is to provide the same supression per wire, regardless of length. Are we splitting hairs, maybe... but Porsche designed the electronics and engine, and that's the way they chose to do things... who am I to argue

BTW, I have talked directly to MSD about their statement and they do agree that this does not apply to the resistive-ended European style wires. Their statement is aimed toward drag racers who use solid core wires with no resistive ends.

Nology wires are a bit counter productive to the principle of the MSD Capacitive Discharge system, and their use of higher energy multi-spark or long spark technology. The Nology would in effect suppress the MSD signal. I have no comment on their use without the MSD (or other enhanced CDI system).

We do not carry Nology or Magnecor wiresets at this time. Only factory style (genuine BERU ends) with better insulation (8mm). Yellow wire sets are worth ~15HP more than other colors.

Again, there's more details about this in the archives somewhere.

Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[quote]Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<strong>Thanks Skip.

Could you do a quick run down on exactly what I'd be replacing if I got a 6A ignition and Blaster 2 Coil? So you are running both right? I noticed you don't sell these? Will you be selling them soon? I'd just assume get them from you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I have the 6A and Blaster2 coil. We do not sell these or any other aftermarket ignition systems. Pertronix will be releasing a competitor to the MSD, Accell, Crane CDI systems that should be out this spring. We intend to evaluate the options at that time. If you're hard core to buy from Paragon, we can order from Summit or Jeg's and simply charge you more.

[quote]<strong>EDIT:
Also, what is beneficial about your high performance ignition wires you sell, compared to others I've heard, such as Nology?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The wiresets we have are the same as OE except for the increased shielding (and they're less expensive than genuine PAG sets). I'll be daft and add that some things cannot be improved upon. YMMV.

Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Sorry Skip,
I really thought the purty yellow wires you guys stocked were Magnecor.
Russ

Quick Reply: MSD Products