Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement windshield washer fluid cap: another piece of minutiae

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 12:21 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Replacement windshield washer fluid cap: another piece of minutiae

The cap to my windshield washer reservoir was shot.

Solution: I took the cap to a returnable gallon of milk , drilled 2 holes for the tubes, and stuck it in there. IT IS A PERFECT REPLACEMENT. It fits tight, looks identical to the stock one. Actually it has a little tab on the lip, which makes it easier to remove than stock.

Cost: I had to buy 2% milk instead of my usual skim, because 2% has a blue cap and skim is green. I wanted blue so it would look stock.

Thaddeus
Old 06-10-2001, 11:21 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn I just bought one from the dealer for a 1.25, I could have had a cap and a half gallon of milk.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:23 PM
Gord
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good idea! What can you do for the broken piece of plastic in which you screw the cap on? Should I replace the tank because the windsheild fluid keeps evaporating?

Gord, 88' 944 S, running on empty
Old 06-11-2001, 01:34 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

*Completely useless answer*

Judging from Thaddeus's original comment, I'd say you just remove the water tank and replace it with the half-gallon milk jug. (sans milk of course)

Skip (I warned you)
Old 06-11-2001, 01:42 PM
Rog
Advanced

Well, if you do replace, I'd be thrilled if you'd let me ship you some postage for it and you mailed the old damaged one to me instead of trashcanning it. I'm working on some plastic welding practice and need some broken useless pieces to hone (actually, develop at all) the skill on.

regards
roger

p.s. great idea on the milk cap, btw.
Go to the gym an extra session and you'll have the evil 2% milk behind you.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:35 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Gord... when the neck broke off the tank on my '88, I tried several glues; nothing worked. I finally made a plug by wadding up some paper towels, wrapping them in plastic food wrap, and tied it all together with a rubber band... Worked fine; kept the fluid in but didn't absorb it or get soggy. It worked for at least three years; I dunno if it still is or not.

jim, the necessity of invention is a *****...
Old 06-11-2001, 09:58 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was in that situation, I would go down to my local wine/beer making shop, and buy a big rubber stopper-- the kind with holes predrilled. I think you can get them with 2 holes... if not, you could get one stopper for the existing hole, and get a second stopper and drill a second hole. Run your siphon lines through the holes in the stoppers and voila.

Thaddeus
Old 06-18-2001, 04:15 PM
TimC
Instructor

Jim968/Gord -

Yeah, glues on that type of plastic (Polyethylene I think) absolutely don't work. Even model cement won't get it to melt/weld. Know what will? A soldering iron. I gently melted/welded my cracked neck back together - now it's fantastic. I tried the same on the plug at the bottom, but it was too cracked and I couldn't get it to hold - the replacement plug and gasket (they are separate) were under 5 bucks.

TC
Old 06-18-2001, 04:17 PM
TimC
Instructor

Jim968/Gord -

Yeah, glues on that type of plastic (Polyethylene I think) absolutely don't work. Even model cement won't get it to melt/weld. Know what will? A soldering iron. I gently melted/welded my cracked neck back together - now it's fantastic. I tried the same on the plug at the bottom, but it was too cracked and I couldn't get it to hold - the replacement plug and gasket (they are separate) were under 5 bucks.

TC

Quick Reply: Replacement windshield washer fluid cap: another piece of minutiae