Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rising Prices... ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rising Prices... ?

So is it just me or are the prices for these cars starting to rise. I fully realize age, condition, mods, milage, on and on have an overall effect. However, they just seem to be going up. OR, are people just asking more and there is no sale.

Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

go to Hagerty.com and try their valuation tools,. you pick the make, model and year and they will show you pricing trend graphs over the past few years, pretty cool. But to answer your question, yes the values have increased substantially over the past 2-3 years. Around 2010 there was a big jump, particularly with the upper grades. But even the lowest grade cars had a noticeable jump in value.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a car that i think is worth $500 for parts. But the owner thinks because it has a Stuttgart crest its worth $3000. http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3983257418.html

Not sure if we will ever know the answer to your question. The value of car is directly related to the economy. All early 911's are getting crazy expensive. I think it is like the real estate bubble. When it will burst is anybody's guess.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this could be little more than minor bump for the 944, 968 etc...

as far as seeing any serious movement in the future...

look at the people who buy collectable cars. the real players are aging and dying off fast. every decade and genre of cars is suffering. even classic muscle cars haven't come back to anywhere near their peak of about 6~7 years ago.... soon, the high-end antiques, classic exotics and muscle cars may be about the only place the future collectors go (the sons and daughters of today's bourgeoisie class). and who are rest of your future collectors??

that's right; today's young/broke/lazy/useless video game junkie generation represents the future. and with the aging baby boomers getting out or dying off at a rate of 2 for every 1 of their loser replacements coming of age, if anything – any forward movement will be just as likely to reverse.....

hell, we may even see more and more cars being exported from the states altogether.

the idea of even more 944Ts (a car that once I could only dream of owning) being exported to China and rebuilt with cheap labor into God knows what....

leaves me speechless.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a lot of cars not moving on craigslist because everyone thinks they have a gold mine. Sure I want to see the cars appreciate a bit, but the reality is that there are still a lot around. 996's are still falling which limits the 944's price mobility in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
this could be little more than minor bump for the 944, 968 etc...

as far as seeing any serious movement in the future...

look at the people who buy collectable cars. the real players are aging and dying off fast. every decade and genre of cars is suffering. even classic muscle cars haven't come back to anywhere near their peak of about 6~7 years ago.... soon, the high-end antiques, classic exotics and muscle cars may be about the only place the future collectors go (the sons and daughters of today's bourgeoisie class). and who are rest of your future collectors??

that's right; today's young/broke/lazy/useless video game junkie generation represents the future. and with the aging baby boomers getting out or dying off at a rate of 2 for every 1 of their loser replacements coming of age, if anything – any forward movement will be just as likely to reverse.....

hell, we may even see more and more cars being exported from the states altogether.

the idea of even more 944Ts (a car that once I could only dream of owning) being exported to China and rebuilt with cheap labor into God knows what....

leaves me speechless.
Its true, the baby boomers sucked everything they could out of the country and left nothing for future generations. Now that they're dying off nobody has the money to blow on old Porsches.

Hopefully we'll be able to pick up the pieces but this won't be for quite some time.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't matter. I'm being buried in mine :{
Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 AM
dave1192
Instructor

Hagarty says they're trending up bigtime for now
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

factor in the horrendous attrition rate, and you get more of the big picture.

with so few decent examples out there for sale, it tends to skew prices (mythical) on those graphs.

why ?

because there's so many junk cars/under-the-table deals being taken off Craigslist/endless bottom feeding etc......

Last edited by odurandina; 08-30-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Allen, wanna go halves?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4014929189.html

and one for $900 that even lart could love:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4027345460.html

My phone is going to ring in 3.... 2.... 1.....

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3996930809.html
Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the before and after is really a nice touch.

there's actually 1 great 924 left. it's in Iowa.

and the one you posted still isn't the most horrendous evar. we've exceeded that benchmark many times.

had somebody come by a couple of years ago claiming he was going to bring an even worse pile of dog-doo back from the dead.

never to be heard from again.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I think we'll see a 944 bump from Gen X buyers - likely the last demographic segment who view cars as a rite of passage.

Long term, blue chip collectibles are the ones that tend to cross generations ie pre-war Alfas, Enzo-era Ferraris, etc. In the 80s/90s, there are a few blue chips - 288GTO, F40, McLaren F1, certain factory race cars, low production air-cooled 911s.

As a Gen X, I maybe biased, but there are sweet spot cars in the era wherein rust was much less of an issue, driveability are much improved with simple fuel injection and disc brakes. Functionality ie comfort, performance is still very relevant in today's roads, while driving feel/rawness is still very much present. I think these are factors that may help the 944s, etc.

...and perhaps no chrome (ok, maybe the last one is just me).
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I think we'll see a 944 bump from Gen X buyers - likely the last demographic segment who view cars as a rite of passage.
Really probably pretty close with this.

Think about it. Boomers had the classic muscle cars, and the build quality of that era lends itself to standing the test of time. By the time Gen X came up, domestics were so poorly built that they just don't hold up. Think of the difference between a '68 Camaro RS and an '88 IROC. >shudder< By our time the cool big-block sedans of the '60s (Galaxies, Fairlanes, Chevelles, Impalas) had been replaced with fwd rubbish (Citation, Tempo, K-car God-awfulness). Nobody is ever going to go nuts for a Ford EXP or a Pontiac Fiero, even if they find one that runs. Which is highly unlikely.

However, in p-cars there was diversity and quality still being built in the '80s and early '90s. I'd pay more for the right 968, 951, 928, 911 or 964 than I would the wrong Boxster or 996, and I don't think I'm alone.

Will the average 951 ever get to numbers-matching special-code '69 fastback 429 Cobra-Jet territory? No. But considering the value of these cars against their peers of similar vintage, I think they fare well.

Unlike most collector cars of earlier eras, these cars can still be fun to drive. Given the option of sitting in a folding chair behind a poster board detailing what makes my garage queen so special and talking to random strangers all day and listening to their delusional stories of yesteryear glory, I'd rather meet up with other p-car knuckleheads and go for a spirited drive somewhere. Even if some of us might lose a drag race to a soccer mom's minivan.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Shawns 83 944
Track Day

Originally Posted by dave1192
Hagarty says they're trending up bigtime for now
I just bought mine and it was only a 1/3 of the value in condition #4. I hope that means its a decent investment. the other two I looked at were more or less higher condition #3 cars selling from 4500-6000. But I just couldn't muster up that much dough. Hopefully soon I could flip this one for a turbo.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:26 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps

My phone is going to ring in 3.... 2.... 1.....

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3996930809.html
I am sure some hipster is going to buy this and paint a neon color

Quick Reply: Rising Prices... ?