Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rising Prices... ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

It's interesting to have this discussion while we are all on the selling side of the market. But there isn't any doubt prices are going up. And here's why: they should be.

The 944, especially the turbo, is one of the best cars out there for the money. I challenge any of us to argue there is another. The 944 is a ridiculously-good car car that will be leaving the ownership-realm it's in now, because we are at a threshold.

The 944 has gone about the saddening course of an underrated sports car. It was Porsche's flagship in the 80's, a spectacular automobile built to satisfy dreams. Now it has found itself passed through owners of all kinds due to a declining market value -- reminiscent of other non-911's.

But the 944 is different because it's modern even into it's 3rd decade. Now we find ourselves with a ripening fruit, a car that has become rarer due to previous neglect, and more sought after due to it's high-end handling capability, power, and customizability. One more thing. It's a Porsche.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm repeating myself, but these so-called prices are bs. good examples are becoming extremely rare.

they're the ones being counted -- and skewing the survey.

the remainder is a lot of junk inventory being sold for part-out $$$ on Craigslist. and there's little chance these cars are factoring in Hagarty's price calculations now. no way. just a few years ago, cars barely running or not running at all were selling for high $$$. the 944 was an elite, revered sports car. not any more. the entire line is not only becoming obscure, but they're irrelevant. the people buying the nicer cars are more serious, older people with previous ownership experience in the Porsche brand....

btw, a few years ago, we'd have already been on page five or six of this thread -- instead of barely past page 1. check the track day thread Van posted the other day. we'd have been on page 6 page by now.... participation is down about 70% from 5 years ago (I researched it, and you can be confident of that number to within about a 2~3% error). want to know why? that's right. far fewer 944s and 944Ts in circulation; in fact, there are so few cars, even the part outs are becoming scarce.

same thing with the 968s, you could say the prices have gone up. but that's not necessarily as true as had thought previously. there are so few cars available, that the ones still remaining are just the stubborn hold outs. it's like my house. I can't afford to move out, because I live here. but if you offer me $500 K, i'm selling.... with the ridiculous prices asked, how serious these folks are about giving up their 968s is unclear.

the asking price is one thing, the final selling price is another.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-31-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a price jump for the later turbos too, according to Hagerty. When I was looking, I saw a couple of cars that I'd put in the condition 2 category, listed for condition 1 money. Doubt they'd sell that that price though.

Name:  qtRJN6T.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  192.7 KB
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
factor in the horrendous attrition rate, and you get more of the big picture.
The cars reached a point where they were affordable to buy, but not maintain. There was (was) a nice '86 near me, saw it later, interior stripped out, covered in Monster Energy stickers, bling bling cold air intake, broken timing belt. Not sure where it went after that.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

participation is down about 70% from 5 years ago (I researched it, and you can be confident of that number to within about a 2~3% error). want to know why? that's right. far fewer 944s and 944Ts in circulation; in fact, there are so few cars, even the part outs are becoming scarce.
No doubt that is part of it, but I've seen declining participation on several other forums I check. I suspect it's a combination of BTDT (go to any board and ask a technical question and face the wraith of "Do a search!"), the economy in general (hobbies take a back seat to groceries), or just the evolution of the internet in general. I've noticed oldtimers lamenting the passing of "the way it used to be" on several boards.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....the people buying the nicer cars are more serious, older people with previous ownership experience in the Porsche brand....

btw, a few years ago, we'd have already been on page five or six of this thread -- instead of barely past page 1. check the track day thread Van posted the other day. we'd have been on page 6 page by now.... participation is down about 70% from 5 years ago (I researched it, and you can be confident of that number to within about a 2~3% error). want to know why? that's right. far fewer 944s and 944Ts in circulation; in fact, there are so few cars, even the part outs are becoming scarce.

the asking price is one thing, the final selling price is another.
There is also something missing in your own statement. More serious, older buyers have snatched up 944s and more specifically 951 & 968s as you have pointed out.

This segment, which I fit in, simply aren't "churning cars". We can afford to hold on to them. Fix them wonde, fix them right! Which means there is less and less of a reason to cruise forums for problem solving. I, for example, haven't fixed or modified anything on my 951 in many years (knock on wood) (okay....I replaced my fuel lines a few months back) but the point is the same. Not much reason to spend a ton of time on the forums, especially when its a 2nd or 10th vehicle.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

According to preceding Hagerty chart, all conditions are counted ie #1-#4. Chart does show that #1 & #2 are trending up, while crappy ones remain flat. Seems reasonable to me, though I'm curious to see actual data points.

Also, I think that more are snatching up these cars as destination instead of as stepping stone cars. If not a 60s Porsche race car, I personally would stay with a 944-based factory race car.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Also, I think that more are snatching up these cars as destination instead of as stepping stone cars. If not a 60s Porsche race car, I personally would stay with a 944-based factory race car.

I believe this is also true. Many gen-X people grew up with the front engined water cooled cars. So that is what they love.

As much as some "purists" are blinded by it, the 911 is not the only Porsche.

I'm a GenX, I've got 10 vehicles(decent rides, not Junkers), 3 of those are Porsches, none of those are a 911. It's simply that other Porsches interest me more than the 911. Which I believe holds true for other 951/968/928 etc buyers.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had somebody come by a couple of years ago claiming he was going to bring an even worse pile of dog-doo back from the dead.
HEY, my 944 was a pile of dog-doo..!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Butters944
HEY, my 944 was a pile of dog-doo..!
Yeah, mine started out as a rough car most here wouldn't have touched too!

Quick Reply: Rising Prices... ?