Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 06:59 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah and I'm almost positive Tabor must have somehow missed the news. If you watch his posts he trys not to offend anybody. He's probably working on his 968 engine conversion somewhere...maybe in a cave.

Where are you dude?

Defend yourself or something.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:01 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I hope that we can all throw aside our political feelings of past and present administrations and be 100% supportive of all those that are sworn to protect. From the President of our country to the hundreds of Police and Firemen who lost thier lives today in direct efforts to help civilians. I have no words that I could begin to offer to the effect of what a horrific human tragedy this is.

Having family in New York right now, my thoughts are with all of those that have lost friends and family today and all of those that don't know the whereabouts of friends and family in both D.C. and New York. It is a truly repugnant event that we will all remember for many years to come (which we should less it go repeated).

It matters not whom we voted for last year nor if we did. We have leadership and that leadership should have our respect. I absolutely have no possible concept of what they are going through at this moment. I will rely on their leadership as I am sure many of us will.

For all of those that have lost someone in this event, I have no words to express my thoughts. On a very basic level, I would like to pass on my condolences. I have heard from both of my Uncles and know that they are OK for which I am tremendously relieved.

What a very, very sad day we have witnessed.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Brent,
I apologize if I offended you. As I am sure you are aware, the current administration has different priorities than the prior administration. Note I say administration not "Billy" or "GW". As a country our leaders have shifted priorites.

Many that support the JFK conspiracy theory believe a war was needed to increase military spending, and the profits of military manufacturers.

Today we have a push for military spending on the Hill, and todays events are about the best catylist for any poltical hawk's fodder.

BTW, in overseas trading Microsoft, Intel, etc went down, and Oil is at an 8 month high.

I presented what I believed were facts, and again apologize if I offended you or your politaical beliefs. I just keep thinkig the more things change...

As I type this (still in shock about what I saw earlier today) I have the TV on in the background. There are missile attack in Afghanistan.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:31 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by rfuerst944s:
<STRONG>Tabor if you think that the possibility that 40-50,000 innocent people died today is not an event that will change history,I feel sorry for you.</STRONG>
No, because the last estimate I heard was 1,000-2,000. I would not have played it down if I though 50,000 people died in one violent act.

My prior statement was meant to show that it is silly to devote all this media coverage because of the "massive loss" of human life, because IMHO, there was no massive loss. Note, I now see that it was

Approximately 40,000 people die every year in traffic accidents in the US, but when was the last time you saw an entire days worth of news devoted to that?
Old 09-11-2001, 07:38 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Cobbs:
<STRONG>Where are you dude?</STRONG>
I am/was at work. The last estimate of loss of human life that I heard was at 7:45am Pacific. It was apparently greatly skewed.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:45 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tabor, you are an idiot. Save the parents some cash for school.

Wish I could change you out with another 20 year old at floor 104.

As others might see, I have many friends that are missing.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:52 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by IceShark:
<STRONG>Tabor, you are an idiot. Save the parents some cash for school.

Wish I could change you out with another 20 year old at floor 104.

As others might see, I have many friends that are missing.</STRONG>
Why is the innocent automobile driver less diserving than the people on floor 104? People die, it is what happens in life. As much as I do not want to, I will die, and so will you. I guess I just don't see it your way.

Though I do admit, that if 40,000 people did truely die today, that is a very large loss of human life.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:56 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by IceShark:
<STRONG>Tabor, you are an idiot. Save the parents some cash for school. Wish I could change you out with another 20 year old at floor 104.
</STRONG>
1. Attacking my intelligence without any quantitative proof is silly. It is even more so when you are attacking it for an opinion that I posses.

2. I have paid for all of my own school and have not used one dime of my parent's money.

3. I don't wish your death for your personal opinions. Why should you wish mine?
Old 09-11-2001, 08:11 PM
my944
Pro

Exclamation

Tabor,
The difference is simple...

Why is the innocent automobile driver less diserving than the people on floor 104? People die, it is what happens in life. As much as I do not want to, I will die, and so will you. I guess I just don't see it your way.
Are you a supporter of terrorism?
Do you feel that it accomplishes anything?

The difference is that people do take risks when driving, and others die innocently as a cause of other drivers. Yet, people going to work and seated at their desks are not taking these risks. The biggest risk is getting fired, maybe. Be considerate and use your mental capacities that you have displayed in your many knowledgable posts. Driving equals a type of voluntary risk. A worker at a desk being killed en masse is a very different situation.

This is a horrific moment in my life and many others. I am a financial advisor and I have had many co-workers, friends, and relatives who have been directly and indirectly affected by this situation. Trying to find these people all day and deal with this situation has been the most trying time of my life. I am not telling you not to voice your opinion, Tabor. I am just suggesting that you be wary of your words and considerate of the vast tragedy here. After all, this is not a car debate here.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:15 PM
944LT1
Racer

tabor, you should really shut up because you are making a serious fool of yourself!!!!!!
What's the big deal? How does today sugnifigantly(not studying very well) alter the future? you have to ask? 3 building of world trade center leveled(total of 260 stories), 4 airliners destroyed,pentagon mangled, thousands upon thousands DEAD, even more thousands homeless, massive retaliation eminant, there will be major financial and economic ramifications!!!maybe when you cant get or afford parts for your precious porsche you will feel differently! instead of you being swapped with a 20 year old on the 104th floor, i would like to see your sorry *** sent to ground zero to help clean that mess up! breath that death for a while and see how you feel!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:27 PM
Tabor
Drifting

<STRONG>Are you a supporter of terrorism?
Do you feel that it accomplishes anything?</STRONG>

No. I am not. I am more anti-war/fighting/terrorism than everybody I know.

<STRONG>The difference is that people do take risks when driving, and others die innocently as a cause of other drivers.</STRONG>

In America, their are many places that you have to drive. Such as Texas. I am lucky enough to live in a place where there is a mass-transit system. But may people do not. People have to work, and people have to get to work. In most of America, they have to drive.

<STRONG>Driving equals a type of voluntary risk. A worker at a desk being killed en masse is a very different situation.</STRONG>

Not when driving is mandatory.

<STRONG>Tabor. I am just suggesting that you be wary of your words and considerate of the vast tragedy here. After all, this is not a car debate here.</STRONG>

I think people misunderstood me. My initial post was in response to "Today will change the current World in ways we can't imagine.
This is horrific." to which I strongly disagreed. At the time I believed that only 1-2,000 people had died, that is 5-10% the number of people who die in automobile accidents every year.

I never said that it was not sad, I think it is sad. The last thing I want is to loose my loved ones. I just did not hold the opinion that the deaths of a couple thousand people would "change the current World in ways we can't imagine".
Old 09-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Tabor,
First you made a stupid ignorant statement and then you dug yourself a hole trying to defend it. Give it up. Any respect I may have had for you is waning fast.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Jon Hanson:
<STRONG>First you made a stupid ignorant statement and then you dug yourself a hole trying to defend it. Give it up. Any respect I may have had for you is waning fast.</STRONG>
I apologize for my honesty. In the future I will make sure to post other people's opinions to keep people from attacking my person in off topic threads.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:00 PM
Sal_Paradise
3rd Gear

Thumbs down

Tabor,

Besides the obvious financial and security changes this tragedy will have upon the world, what happened today will greatly affect 100’s of thousands of human lives. Friends and family members of the victims will be greatly affected. While your life might not be changed, theirs most certainly will. I have three children and I can tell you with great certinty that if any of my children where victims of this heinous crime I would be devastated. My life would be altered completely.
I have always been interested in the sequence of events that lead up to one ultimate event. If you start thinking about the sequence that led up to one persons death today and the millions of things that had to come together to make that happen, you can go mad. Maybe one of those people decided to take today’s flight and go home a day early to see his or her family instead of waiting for tomorrow’s flight. Maybe one person decided to come into work today even though he was feeling sick. Maybe just to finish up that report then go back home. Maybe one of those people, or their child or even there great grand child would discover a cure for cancer or muscular dystrophy, now sadly that cure may never be realized.
If war is the result of today’s actions and the draft is implemented you could be very directly affected by today’s events, Tabor.
To say that the deaths of so many innocent lives cannot change the future is total idiocy.
I respect your opinion Tabor but you must think straight before posting on a subject where human lives were involved.

Sal

88 944
Old 09-11-2001, 09:00 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Tabor,
If you really don't know why the world will be changed by this then I will tell you my opinion on it. First of all, more importantly, I would like to say that my thoughts and condolences go out to all of that families out there who lost loved ones and to the people who died and were injured today.
The World Trade Center was a very significant building not only to New York, but to the whole U.S. Many large corporations had their headquarters in that building such as Meril Lynch I believe. The economy will be effected by this disaster of coarse as a near infinite number of factors come into play when it comes to the economy.
The fact that someone just came into our country, hi-jacked 4 of our commercial planes and flew them right into anything they wanted is very serious. Do you realize that who ever did this flew a plane right into the "brains" of our nation? The Pentagon? We keep many important files and documents in there and that's a serious offense. It looks to me as though they could have got the White House just as easily, but thank God they didn't. This sort of event opens the door for future attacks and just goes to show how slack this country has become in it's defense against foreign attack.
The whole world is now aware that the U.S. has been attacked and as a result many lives around the globe have been affected by this whether you believe that or not.
I'm not trying to dis anyone here, I'm simply stating my opinion that this really is a great tragedy. People are saying that this is bigger than the Pearl Harbor bombing and we all know what war followed shortly after that.
It just makes me feel a lot better to know that other countries will aid the U.S. if need be such as Great Britain...

Tim C.

Quick Reply: OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...