Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do injectors need cleaning? Fuel injector cleaning thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Do injectors need cleaning? Fuel injector cleaning thread.

Has anyone had good experience with having injectors cleaned professionally? Is it necessary? I think mine are fine (ie the car runs strong, I get normal MPG, and the injectors look clean) but since 4 seal kits are going to be $20 anyway, I might as well send them in while they are out of the car.

I am planning on sending my injectors to Mr. Injector for cleaning and before/after flow balancing. Seems like good reviews all around and only $16 per injector including seals and caps. Website is pretty thorough. Any experience with Mr. Injector?

On another note, one of my injectors' caps was absent when I pulled them. I've read it's okay to let these smash and burn up in the cylinder? Kind of skeptical, what do you think? Not sure mine is still in there or not, but it was missing.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's not broke, don't fix it. spend your money on what you want, but it won't make a difference. I've cleaned some gummed up injectors, you don't need to send them out, it's not hard and it will cost you about $10 total to do all 4.

But, it's your choice.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:18 AM
GSTEVE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my injectors flow tested with Mr.injector in the UK.My car has only covered 60K but as I was replacing all of the original fuel lines and rail I decided to have the seals and pintle caps replaced as preventative maintenance .when the job had been completed on return the testing showed an increase of 5.08%_3.33%_5.17%_5.08% on the dynamic flow and I have to say the car starts and drives a lot a better.As the cost was very reasonable and I was sorting the other items out I can only say good things about the service I had.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the cost of getting stock injectors flow matched, I would just go ahead and get a brand new set of modern, high impedance injectors and a matched chip. They are pretty inexpensive and are easier than the stockers on the DME. Your car will start, idle, and drive nicer with a quality set of aftermarket injectors, and vs (uncleaned, non flow matched ) stockers you will get better gas mileage. You also wont have to fear one getting stuck open, and they are E-85 friendly.

Edit: Just realized you may be talking about an N/A car, in which case you'd want to keep the stockers. Replace your fuel lines if you havn't already, 944's burn to the ground everyday!!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Most of us on this site have use and recommend Witch Hunter in Bellingham Washington. They charge $100 and provide quick service and a data sheet showing before and after results and their process is top-notch. I had them do mine and they were turned around in a week.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

I have cleaned my own injectors and noticed an improvement. I built the battery system you can see vids of on you tube, I purchase a ultrasonic cleaner from Ebay for around $20 then rebuilt them.

I have heard great things about Witchhunter.

But if you lean toward the DIY side I would recommend doing it yourself. Between the kits, the ultrasonic cleaner, and a battery connector set up you won't save ALOT of money cleaning your own first set. But I have used mine a couple times now and I really like doing it myself.

Michael
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't seem like you have any issues so you can just leave them. Or like you said, if you want to do it and be safe at mind, just do it.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I used Marren a few years ago to check and clean mine. Flow was low and spray pattern bad in three of them before service, dirt in all four. This was an 18 year old car. For $106, cheap enough and well worth the effort and cost.

I can post the Marren report if people are interested.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

New ones sound nice, but one new costs much more than all 4 cleaned.

I don't notice any issues, but on a 27 yr old car (who knows if my injectors have ever been cleaned), I have my fingers crossed at an improvement.

Originally Posted by KevinGross
I used Marren a few years ago to check and clean mine. Flow was low and spray pattern bad in three of them before service, dirt in all four. This was an 18 year old car. For $106, cheap enough and well worth the effort and cost.

I can post the Marren report if people are interested.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
If it's not too much trouble, I would like to see. Sounds very interesting.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bonus12;10706700]New ones sound nice, but one new costs much more than all 4 cleaned.

I don't notice any issues, but on a 27 yr old car (who knows if my injectors have ever been cleaned), I have my fingers crossed at an improvement.

[QUOTE]

Yup, the Bosch are available for under $200 each but still not "cheap" unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
New ones sound nice, but one new costs much more than all 4 cleaned.
Assuming you have a 951, I'd just run some High Z Siemens Deka injectors. You can get them in 60 or 80 lb/h for ~60 bucks an injector and are well worth it. Check around on Ebay, you need regular length ones with an EV1 connector. These are the same type injector/connector used on high HP mustang builds, which is where I got my set for cheap. 80 lb/h will likely support everything you could ever throw at the car, even on E85.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

After 30 years I figured it was worth it to send them to WH while I had them off for AOS seal replacement. The thing about sending them in is that you get the printout of before and after. I felt that it was worth it just to know the condition. It turned out they all had good flow and the pattern was good on 3 out of 4. But now I know.

Might be good for another 30 years. I use chevron gas with techron.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

All right well, I sent them in and should get them back in about a week. The injectors will have all new seals and caps, and I'll get a complete before/after report. Sounds pretty quality. I'm hoping for at least a 3-5% increase like GSTEVE. My car has fairly extensive work history, but I don't think there has been any work on the injectors for 10 years and 50,000+ miles.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Run two bottles of Techron through if you don't want the turnaround time from WitchHunter
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
944hal
Pro

I just had mine done by Merchant Accurate Eng. in Lake Havasu City Az. Just under $20 per injector. My flow rate wasn't more than 5% off on any one injector. However, now they are all equal. It's a race car so I'll take whatever little advantage I can get. Great service. Sent them out on a Tuesday and had them back the follow Tuesday. Phone # is 928-486-1241 if any one interested. You can send just the injectors, or the whole fuel rail and they will pressure test it.. Peace of mind for under $80.

Quick Reply: Do injectors need cleaning? Fuel injector cleaning thread.