Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions for Alarms???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001 | 10:16 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Any suggestions for Alarms???

I'm wondering about several things that I'm considering for my Turbo S... There's a place called Auto Lock, that sells 1-touch up & down window kits for power windows ($35/side) for our beloved Porsche's. Has anyone else out there bought one of these, and if so, what are your opinions of it? They also sell several alarm set-ups for our cars- anyone have any experience w/these, or anything else from Auto Lock, or know anyone who does? I'm about to replace several things in the next week or so (depending on when all my stuff arrives)- 968 mirrors & door handles, and some 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates up front under the armrest, to name a few. To do these things, I will need to remove the door panels, so I'd like to do it all at the same time. Therefore, I really need to make up my mind about them.

My windows are also very slow- is there anything that can be done to make them faster? I'm assuming new motors would be outrageously expensive(?), so would like to avoid this route if possible.

Also, if the Auto Lock alarms aren't what they're cracked up to be, then can anyone recommend another type of alarm? What about the factory alarms? Assuming they are even half-way affordable, are they okay, or are they too dated techno-wise, or what?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-08-2001 | 11:13 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

One other question about alarms- this may clear up another one of my posts...

The driver side rear speaker wire splits about midway up, the passenger side does not. I can't understand what this wire (w/two ends) would be for, but someone on the Turbo board suggested that maybe it could be for the factory alarms. Is this true? Anyone out there w/a fatory alarm- does your rear speaker wire (left side), split, and are the two split pieces connected in any way to the alarm system?

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 11-08-2001 | 02:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Pretty sure someone on here developed that 1 touch window thing. I forgot his name though. Pretty good idea. I'm going to get some. You can get them from fellow Rennlisters Paragon-Products.com (http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi/search.cgi?terms=window+express)

Don't know much about the alarm. I was wondering the same thing, except I want a keyless remote that integrates into my existing factory alarm.

-Matt
Old 11-08-2001 | 04:04 PM
rplencne
Instructor

On the slow window problem ... sometimes it's only the switch, and only needs cleaning (or replacing if you want to spend the $'s). The contacts will burn/pit over time, increasing the resistance in the circuit, decreacing the current, and slowing down the motor. Might even be a bad ground problem, also limiting the current. Then again, it just may be some hardware in need of some grease.

-Bob P.
Old 11-08-2001 | 04:06 PM
Renntag
Pro

Wow, thanks for the info on the 'one touch' system. Very cool.

I am also interested in an aftermarket alarm. I am mostly looking for the keyless entry feature. Alarms dont really deter pros. I ahve thought about a quick release for my aftermarket steering wheel and carry the wheel with me or lock it TO the trunk.

Keyless entry with remote window operation would be awesome too. Any suggestions?

I will share what ever info I gather.

~Colin
Old 11-08-2001 | 11:44 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

For a simple improvement in window speed, try a little silicone spray lube in the back window channel, both in the window opening and down into the door.... 'nother of those overlooked simple maintenance items on most of our cars. Also look at cleaning grounds, etc., to get the charging system voltage up.

And if the windows go faster, it stands to reason that the car goes faster, no?

Jim, uh, no....
Old 11-09-2001 | 12:05 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi Guys,
I developed the Window Express Unit sold by Paragon Products, It was designed specially for the window motors and wiring in our cars and plugs into the existing loom without cutting or hacking etc.
As these cars get older the commutators in the window motors become dirty, this is why the switches fail due to the extra current load. A good motor and well aligned/greased mechanism will draw between 4 and 5 amps while running, a dirty and dry one will draw between 8 and 10 amps and will be much slower.
The cure is to remove the mechanism from the door and strip and clean the motor and mechanism, I usually scrub the commutators with 1000 grit paper. The motor will buzz during the first few dozen operations as the brushes wear back in to the commutator and the speed should be restored.
Martin http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor/
Old 11-09-2001 | 06:57 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Hi Martin..

I have taken a few window motors out and "rehabbed" them much like you outline. I know I might sound negative, but how come other cars don't suffer from this same problem to the same extent? In all my experience (a few decades of electrical repairs)I have only had to replace one window lift motor, and that was in a (egad...) Ford when one of the PM magnets let go inside. Switches? Never saw any other manufacturer's fail with the same regularity as those in out beloved 944s.

Bob S. ( Reading War and Peace while patiently waiting for my windows to close before locking car)

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for Alarms???