Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 01:19 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 supercharger kit

We are looking for a test mule for our 944 supercharger kit. Prefferably we want someone in the San Diego area. We will need to have your car for a week, maybe even two. We will install our supercharger, dyno test it, etc.....Whomever agrees to this proposition walks away with the supercharger and everything needed for $1000 off of the retail price. There is no money required up front! We have already paid for the SC unit. We just need the car! We will have to ask you a few specifics about your car before we are willing to use it. Basically we dont want some 200K mile junkster(even if you have every intention of buying the kit).We need a well maintianed(prefferably new timing belts,recent rodbearings, headgasket,
clutch, etc....)car.We would also like to do the initial testing on an 85.5 or later model(dont worry you guys with the early cars will be able to get one too)

Here is a little information about the kit.It will be as simple as possible while still remaining safe and reliable. We are using a self-contained centrifugal supercharger that will be run at 5psi of boost.There is no tapping of any oil lines whatsoever! Estimated horsepower gain is about 50% at 5 psi! The good news about our kit is that we intend to release it for every 944 and the 968! We also intnedn to offer this kit in levels.The first level will be the basic kit and run at 5 psi.The second level will include a pulley change to up the boost to 7 psi and use a stock 951 intercooler and a set of headers and exhaust.The third level will also add an MAF kit and timing controller to the mix as well as raising the boost another 1-2 psi.The fourth level will include all of these things except the 951 intercooler will be upgraded with our huge front mount unit. We will also add another 1-2 psi of boost.

Welcome to the world of boost! Now you can upgrade your car like it was a turbo;^) If anyone is interested please email me or give us a call at 619-596-6721.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 11-08-2001, 03:08 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Will it be an Eaton core?
Old 11-08-2001, 03:31 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So you are proposing a stage 1 mod (~225hp?) for the "guinea pig" 944? What do you anticipate would be the out-of-pocket cost for the owner?

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 11-08-2001, 03:50 AM
TurboTim
Banned

I wont say which brand it is but it is definitely not an Eaton.

The retail price of the level 1 kit is going to be $3000 to $3500.

Tim
Old 11-08-2001, 04:28 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

I heard that there was a supercharger being developed in Houston that would sell for $2500. Also, I also thought that Superchargers of Knoxville offered one for the 944. Any truth to that?
Old 11-08-2001, 05:19 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Tim -

I would say that you hooked up (or should) with Whipple Industries and got one of their screw units. Correct?

Well.. on a side note, my father's new daily driver is a 2001 PT Criuiser with all kinds of goodies including a Whipple kit at 5psi. (And a body kit, and 19"s, and suspension, and exhaust, and HID's, and on and on.. he has lost focus on the GT3 project)

It has a decent amount of power, the supercharger flows enough air, so I am sure it could get better. Whipple needs to work on the electronics. We have had a number of tuning problems, idle issues, and not proper fuel enrichment.

Sounds like you have a good package layout. 3 grand would sell like hotcakes, only if you had it a true bolt in and all the bugs worked out.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:19 PM
TurboTim
Banned

We are using a centrifugal blower that has a linear boost curve.Morse boost per rpm.The Whipple is all at once so it defintiely would add to the complications especially when tuning is considered.

There might be some other kits that are going to hit the market for cheaper but I suspect that their supercharger of choice is not as nice as the unit we plan to use.

Tim
Old 11-08-2001, 01:30 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Any chance that this would also work on a 16 valver such as the 944S or 944S2?
Old 11-08-2001, 01:49 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by ecpunk:
<STRONG>I heard that there was a supercharger being developed in Houston that would sell for $2500. Also, I also thought that Superchargers of Knoxville offered one for the 944. Any truth to that?</STRONG>
Guys,

Actually the fellas in Houston have put the 944 SC kit on hold. I just got this email from them yesterday:

Hey Matt, problem is, both of my two doner cars in town have "vanished". I need a local car to mock the kit upon, of course, they need to be willing to purchase the kit items at our wholesale cost (as the kit will remain on their car).

Any ideas/know anyone in Austin, Texas?

Mark.

########

Tim, please tell me if can be used on a 89 944 with the higher compression ratio. If that's the case...

-Matt

PS
How about 2-3 thousand for fellow Rennlisters?
Old 11-08-2001, 02:52 PM
MadMax
Pro

Tim,
So with this kit, the motor would under boost all the time but the boost level would depend on the engine RPM? What about compression ratios of the SC engine? I have an S2 and I think my cr is something 10.5:1...can't remmember for sure, don't have my books at work. Would the 5 psi of boost be all of the time? How much fuel system modification would be necessary to prevent "leaning" or would it be an issue? I know a lot of questions but I am interested. Too far away to be the test mule though.

Regards,
Max
Old 11-08-2001, 03:18 PM
Lamah
Instructor

I too am interested in this super charger, however i'd be concerned about my high compression ratio. also, how hard would it be to install and could my transmition even handle it (85.5 NA)? i'll have to take all this into consideration... that and the value of my car ...
Old 11-08-2001, 03:44 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
My guess is a proper installation would increase the value of your car. Also, I believe I read somewhere that the 944 tranny was good up to 350 hp?

The 85.5 would be a perfect candidate I think. It's the 89 and S/S2's that are going to have to worry (higher compression ratio).

-Matt
Old 11-08-2001, 04:54 PM
Craig944-DS-
Banned

TurboTim: My 944 would be a good nominee for the job, except for the fact I live in Alabama, but just for the say of things let's say I did volunteer my vehicle & yall took it, I think I'd rather have a 968 tranny than a supercharger really - could that be arranged *wink*.
My 944:
-He has 46.3K original miles.
-Every piece of rubber existent on the car has been replaced.
-New waterpump at 40K miles.
-New gaskets all over the engine,(putting on the 'head gaskett kit' from paragon today) the head gaskett is being replaced TODAY, we had the head done and are picking it up today and proceding to put all the stuff back on today replacing anything we see logical... While we were at it we cleaned up the pistons ;-).
-Completely new exhaust (that could be detrimental I guess because it wouldn't be the stock dyno versus the stock dyno w/ sc) BUT I still have the complete oem exhaust in my garage...
-All new belts go on today (like i said all rubber has been replaced)
-New clutch at 46.2K miles - it's one'a those new kevlar types. New pressure plate, resurfacing, bearings, etc etc.
-Just changed all the fluids - only using MOLY of course =)...
-New fuel injectors at roughly around 38K miles...
-I just listed the work on things under the hood, I didn't see interior and exterior mods as relevant ya know... ANYWAY if you can't get any volunteers dude I'll send him out there to you, hell I won't let lack of participation stand in the way of progress...
If ya wanna know something I left out or just talk about the project, my e-mail is craig944@bellsouth.net aim is - erratic citizen icq is 46057575

That's correct matt.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:00 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Wow, lets see if I can answer some of these questions.Our supercharger is expected to be released for all 944 models(early models might have to switch to the later model DME's) years including the 968. High compression will not be an issue since the effective compression ratio of the engine will be significantly lower then a 951 running 15 psi(1 BAR) of boost.We have a device in our kit for fuel enrichment so running lean will not be a concern to the customer.

Someone asked if the car will be under boost all the time.The answer is no.At roughly 2000 rpms the SC should make 1 psi of boost and 1 psi of boost every thousand rpms until the peak of 5 psi is reached at 6000 rpms.

We plan on testing this kit extensively both on the dyno, street and track before its relese date, which is sometime close to Christmas.Like I said in an earlier post, we will be offering different levels of the supercharger which will ultimately add even more power.The level 4 system is expected to pump out close to 225 horsepower(close to 300 at the flywheel) at the wheels which is roughly 100 more rear wheel horsepower then stock! BTW, we are being very conservative with our figures and the actual horsepower could easily ecclipse our modest estimates.If anyone has anymore questions please give us a call or email.

BTW, we already have one donor car who is interested but the problem is that he is in the Bay area of CA which is roughly 600-800 miles away.We really want to test this sytem on a local San Diego car.This way we can make
monthly checks on the car or solve any sort of problems that might arise, in a timely manner.As I stated before, there is no out of pocket cost to use your car as the donor.We would like to sell you the kit(at $100 dollars off of the retail price) once it is complete and has proven itself but this is not a neccessity.So again, if anyone local is interested please call us asap at 619-596-6721. Remember your car has to be in good shape;^) we will be running a compression test, leakdown test and an overall inspection of the vehicle before one bolt is removed. If it doesnt pass, it doesnt get the SC (ofcourse you can buy it once it is released). Sorry but this is the way it has to be.We willbe posting a new supercharger page on our website very soon along with pics and all sorts of info.

BTW, this is for the turbo guys(if they are reading this thread).We just released the first ever, true 3" downpipe for the back of the turbo(it even has the factory crush rings). Now you can have a true 3" exahust from the turbo to the muffler.Their are alot of pics that should be on the website by Friday.

Tim
Old 11-09-2001, 03:09 AM
TurboTim
Banned

About the N/A transmissions.There should not be any issues with the tranny on your cars. However, the clutch is going to be the weakest link. The good news is that we offer upgraded clutch kits if your old one craps out from the big boost

Tim

Quick Reply: 944 supercharger kit