Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polished Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 04:37 PM
Gord
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Polished Rims

Winter storage is approaching ... no better time than to pop off the wheels and tires and have the rims refinished. (it desperately needs it) I really like the polished look as opposed to the painted silver. For longevity which will last longer? Does anyone know the cost involve in getting all four phone dials done? Is there anything an amature shade tree mechanic can do to save cost?

Gord '88 944S
Old 11-07-2001, 05:58 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can polish them yourself - there are various kits with compounds and such. And use aircraft alloy stripper to get your current paint off. Archives have threads on people's experience doing it.

You should clear coat them when done - spray paint or better get them powder coated. Otherwise you will be spending all your time dealing with oxidation.

It is a lot of work as you will see from the threads.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this for directions
Old 11-07-2001, 09:57 PM
951juden
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polished rims have a lot more shine than chrome, but chrome has a much "deeper" appearance. I prefer the look of polished rims, and have had them on two cars now. But, it is a lot of work to keep them looking good (and a total PITA).
Living in sunny southern California, I have to polish my rims once a month to keep them looking good. And about every 6 months I take them to get polished (with the tire still on). Get some price quotes on having your rims polished (the first time with the tires off), and most shops will give you a huge discount for a repolish every 6 months.
I don't recommend getting your rims clearcoated or powdercoated afterwards, that has a tendency to dull the shine and sometimes turn slightly yellow.
Go to a classic or muscle car show and you will see a lot of guys with polished rims; that's a great place to ask advice on this topic and see the difference between chrome, polished, and polished with powdercoat/clearcoat.

Quick Reply: Polished Rims