Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Post from Turbo board: Clutch issue, grinding when fully depressed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross Post from Turbo board: Clutch issue, grinding when fully depressed

Hey guys,

I've searched and searched, and haven't found an answer, so I'm asking here:

I have a lightened flywheel (possibly fidanza, unsure of manufacturer), Cup or 930 disk, not sure which, and a KEP 240mm pressure plate. All of this stuff came with the turbo when I bought it, so I don't know for sure what any of it is, but it's all new or almost new.

Here's the problem: When I fully depress the clutch pedal (all the way to the floor) I get a grinding sound from the bellhousing area. All bearings and parts in the clutch area/bellhousing are in good shape or new, everything was inspected before installation. I put a good condition torque tube in it, and everything on the trans end is good to go.

I'm assuming that the pedal is actually moving the clutch too far, as I get full engagement above 3/4 depression of the pedal (pedal 3/4 of the way down, trans shifts smoothly and there is no motion of the vehicle while in gear). Today I played with the clutch pushrod a bit, backing it out to see if I could get the grinding to stop. I turned the pushrod out until the grinding at full depression went away, but that in turn gave me a sloppy pedal with a lot of play at the top of its range. The clutch still functions 100% properly as far as i can tell, and I have no problems going into any gears with the clutch depressed.

What's my next step? Is the grinding that I'm hearing actually chatter from the clutch setup I have? Is this normal? Or am I on the right track backing the pushrod out to get rid of the noise?

Thanks in advance guys!
Ethan Cooper

P.S. 1986 951 with 89 951S engine.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this the type of pressure plate that has the little weights added to the fingers to increase clamping force?

I have heard of the weights reducing clearance in the bellhousing, and hitting/rubbing when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see anything like that when I had the clutch out, it was stamped KEP and 240mm, but looked just like the sachs 951 clutch. hmmm...

Ethan

Quick Reply: Cross Post from Turbo board: Clutch issue, grinding when fully depressed