Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone I am a new member

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001 | 12:48 AM
RS 2.7
Racer

Post Hello everyone I am a new member

Hello everyone my name is Chris. I have been looking at this website for awhile and finally decided to subscribe and be a member. I thought I would go ahead and tell you a little about me.

First of all "Porsche, there is no substitute" is absolutely true. I realize that they are the finest automobiles in the world.

I am almost 17 years old and I have been interested in Porsches for quite awhile. I work at Sunflower Motors which is a Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes and VW dealership in Topeka KS.

I just sold my first car which was an 85 RX-7 and am currently on the lookout for a 944. I have looked at a few but have been dissapointed when two were automatics and a few others were too expensive for me.

I definitely wish I had enough money for a 911, but since I can afford a 944 I am shooting for one of those. I don't really have an absolute favorite but the top 5 Porsches I would choose are
1. 917
2. 935
3. 911 GT2
4. 911 turbo S or a 930
5. 959
and there are many more! I love all of them I am an absolute Porsche nut and I am looking forward to becoming a part of this website!
Old 11-07-2001 | 01:44 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Chris,

Let me be the first to welcome you. I'm online taking a BIO quiz and I need a break.

Good luck in finding the right 944 for you. Don't rule out a 86-88 924S as a good place to start your search. It is nearly mechanically identical is the 944.

(Man, now I feel old...) When I was 17 that's when I got my 87 924S and had some good times in it. I'm at the ripe old age of 21 now and wouldn't have traded that 924 S for anything.

Sounds like you've got the right job. You will learn so much there it's not even funny. My advice: get in with the techs. Talk with them, befriend them, hang out with them. One of my best friends of 5 years is 10 years older then me so if they are older then you don't let that initimidate you. Most of those Porsche techs and the dealership (at least the ones I'm familiar with) know a ton about these older Porsches.

They may even be able to point you in the direction of a good used 944.

Take care buddy.

-Matt
Old 11-07-2001 | 10:07 AM
User 462021
Banned

Welcome! Don't rush when it comes to finding the right car. I did and I paid dearly for it. But, I wouldn't have done it differently. Goodluck on the search and check out this community also. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...i?action=intro
Old 11-07-2001 | 10:16 AM
RS 2.7
Racer

Thanks for the welcome Matt. I am in computer class so I will try and make this quick.

Your advice on getting to know the technicians is exactly what I do. I have gotten to know Jim, our Porsche technician and he is an extremely nice guy. I have already learned a lot from him and I hope to learn even more. I also am going to have Jim check out whatever Porsche I am going to buy so I know I get a good one. Another person at the dealership is Glenn, who is a salesman, and he had a 912 in high school. Glenn and I have gone to a few events out at heartland park and watched Porsches race. Both Jim and Glenn know a TON about Porsche and are great to talk to.

Also I am sure you did enjoy your 924S. That was the first car I test drove because I know for the most part it is mechanically identical to the 944. That car had quite a few problems though like bad motor mounts, headlights and a door that didnt work and had a rough body. Overall I could just tell it wasn't taken care of well so I decided to skip it. The only downside to a 924 though is that without the fender flares it just doesn't look as cool (but I would still love to have one.)

well thats about all i have to say

Chris
Old 11-07-2001 | 10:22 AM
Lamah
Instructor

Amen to that. Deffinatly take your time. Unfourtunatly, I have little or no patience and bought my 944 on an impulse. man 'o man, i shoulda done my homework on the car. Second week it needed a new clutch - $1500, It has intermitent starting problems - inconvinent, it runs WAYYY too rich, currently its in for a head gasket and while its there it'll get a new timing belt, oil cooler seals, and water pump(since its easier to do the pump while its all apart anyways) - ~$800-1000. If he says I'm gonna need motor mounts soon i'll have him do that, too - $?.

I'm not trying to scare you away, just trying to convince you not to impulse buy

Dont buy it unless its got a good history of repairs and whatnot. Also, having it once-over'd by a mechanic (another thing i didnt do) is a very good idea. well worth money

Good luck in your search, and welcome to the forum,
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 11-07-2001 | 05:41 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris- go drive a 951 before you make a decisio. You just might like it much better than a 944na. Not that the na is a bad car, just imagine one with nearly double the power, all of the handling and looks too. Price is generally not astronomically higher than the na and you will probably be glad you waited.
Old 11-07-2001 | 06:00 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Dave I know exactly what you mean with the 951 and all. They are unbelievable and I would love to have one, especially since they would destroy all those ricers out there. Unfornately I'm only 17 I don't have enough money for a turbo!!! Someday though, someday. I did have a dream the other night though I had a 944 turbo S. Boy was I mad when I looked in the garage and it wasn't there. I was convinced that dream was true! well Dave enjoy your 951 I am sure it is awesome.

Chris
Old 11-07-2001 | 06:16 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Chris944...as a fellow young'n I welcome you to the Porsche world... I'm 17...have a '89 951...had some help paying for it from parents..although I have been paying for all maintenence and did pay for 1/3 the purchase price.

Anyhew.. I echo what everybody else said...take your time...find the car of your dreams.
Online..I recommend: http://www.autotrader.com http://www.cars.com
Those are the top 2 in my book...my car was listed at cars.com and the local newspaper...

Good luck finding your dream car

Quick Reply: Hello everyone I am a new member