Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New project 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 AM
MrSinclaire
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project 944

Hey guys, I decided to buy a 944 that my friends ex was selling

Looks like ***

runs, but needs work to make it run

Anyhow, it took me a while to find a forum I liked, but I decided to settle here.

No real huge plans for this beast...its my first car basically

yes, im standing on it. ****s with me

Goods: 83 NA, runs, clean title, 1 small dent, 78000 miles, full interior, back seats, all the glass is there, no major problems

Bads: Paint looks like ****, front seats are torn up, interior is dirtier than thou, starter needs replaced, been sitting for a few years,

Definitely a project car...

So ill cut to business. Im ordering a shift **** (stock one looks like ****) and i read up that the shifter needs to be converted to fit an aftermarket shift ****, i've read that theres a few dudes here who make BADASS kits or who sell them anyways. Guidance is much appreciated!

Anyways, any help will be nice! Guidance! Kind words! I'm 17 and **** like this stresses me out somewhat!
(I do understand what I own. I do realise the cost of parts.)

THANKS!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your 944. Seems like you have a decent runner which just needs mostly cosmetics. If you don't know when the timing belt and water pump were last changed, that's the first thing you should be doing. Any pics of the car?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 AM
MrSinclaire
3rd Gear

Thank you both SO much! More helpful and encouraging than anybody else has ever been to me!

I got 2 "new used" tires (lol) off my adopted mom (shes a mech)
and im going to start with:
Starter
Belt kit
Ignition kit
Oil/Gas

ill do the brake lines and such as soon as I tow it to my house (suburbia)

Its been sitting for a good number of years (5 i heard)

But yeah, just one step at a time. Had to pay a little debt but im all good now.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Gawernator
Racer

I lol'd "good: it's a 944"
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM
MrSinclaire
3rd Gear

XD Hell yeah!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you will need to replace ignition wires, you will need to remove and clean the injectors (sea foam and some time by hand will get them clean, no need to replace them), you will need to replace rollers as well as belts, the brakes may well be seized, so plan on replacing the two master cylinders and the clutch slave and rebuilding the calipers, then check ball joints and tie rod ends, check shocks, etc. I've done a couple of these that were in much worse shape than yours, one had about three cubic feet of snail shells on top of the engine and the air cleaner filled with mouse urine - it took the young lady who bought it less than a week, with my supervision, to get it running and drivable again.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 AM
toyhole
8th Gear

you really need to check the battery area very carefully for cracks and rust. It will leak into the passenger footwell if there are any holes/cracks. Also check the firewall where the master clutch
cylinder is, as it is prone to crack around it and tear the sheet metal.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase. Hows it been going?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

Good luck with your purchase! This is a good forum for obtaining answers to questions. As others have said, clarks garage is a great resource. From your picture, it definitely appears as though one of the front bumper shocks has been collapsed and should be replaced. You can source these fairly cheaply at junk yards or ebay. As far as injectors go, I would send them off to witch hunter performance to get them fully cleaned and serviced. Since the car has been sitting for several years, you should consider dropping the fuel tank and having it fully cleaned out. There could be a lot of sediment that could cause issues with poor running. You should probably also replace the fuel filter along with all other fluids as you start out.

I would stay away from fixing cosmetic issues at the outset, as mechanical items are a greater concern to making the car road worthy and reasonably reliable.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Tank basically summed everything up nicely.

Don't even start to worry about a shifter **** haha get all the basics figured out first. Don't get ahead of yourself.

UPDATE: He sold the 944 to a close friend of his and got a Datsun 240z.

Quick Reply: New project 944