Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a car cover...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 12:03 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Choosing a car cover...

Unfortunately, my 944 S2 needs to sit in the driveway until several projects in the garage are finished. I've never used a car cover and now think it would be good to purchase one.

Looking though Excellence, I see many sources, similar prices, and three types: cotton/poly, All-Weather, and Flannel.

The car is in Iowa, with hot, humid summers and cold winters with lots of snow and ice. Which type of cover is best? What are the advantages and disvantages of the three types?

thanks,

Bryan
Old 06-08-2001, 12:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a Performance Products catalog. They have a nice chart that explains the strong and weak points of each type of cover. I've had a StormTech cover for about 10 years and it is still in pretty fair shape. I would buy one again.

BTW, you need to think ahead when freezing weather hits. The cover will probably get soaked and then when it freezes it will be like a board and frozen to the pannels. I found this out the hard way and had to run a hot water hose on it to get the darn thing off.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:53 PM
Big E
Racer

I've had my 951 for almost 5 years now (holy crap !), and am on my second cover. I bought the first one about a day after I bought the car, and it lasted about 4 years. I can't remember the material, but I think it was the step down from the Stormtech in terms of wear, but a step up in "ding protection." It finally dry-rotted and I ripped a huge hole in it.

I have the Stormtech now, and so far, so good. I really liked the thicker (and softer) material of the first, but since I never park next to anyone, I went for better protection from the elements.

Check out Performance Products.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:01 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I read on some paint care FAQ that you should use a non-waterproof breathable cover that will protect your car from debris but won't obstruct the flow of water. This way it won't mildew underneath (it can evaporate).

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Choosing a car cover...