Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan speed - only on 4 - revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 09:35 PM
TimC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fan speed - only on 4 - revisited

Ok, irritatingly I have the previously mentioned problem of fan speed only working on 4 (88 944na). However, the problem is intermittent, and get this - simply unplugging and replugging the climate control module sometimes helps. This was first discovered when I had it in the shop and they pulled the module to check the resistor circuits, and they were all fine - and when they plugged the cc module back in, it worked. With the return of hot weather the intermittency has become more of a constant. Sooo, my questions are - 1, where is the mysterious resistor block located, and can I get to it without complete dash disassembly, and 2, does anyone know of a good contact enhancement product. I think the intermittency of the problem points simply to bad contact (hopefully not inside the resistor block itself, as I'm guessing it's not servicable) and therefore if I go through the whole system, unplug everything, apply contact goop, and replug it may be ok. Any thoughts/suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tim C.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Tim,
I had the same problem on my 1985.5 944. Now I really know nothing about your US version of the 1988 944 and how similar they are electrically in this system but my problem was not the resistor speed control circuit but the power relay to the fan. This was so long ago it is hard to remember but if I remember correctly, speeds one thru three which are via the resistors are fed through one set of contacts in the relay and top speed was basically direct power to the fan through another set or bypasses the relay all together. Now, when you pulled the control module you actually removed the control circuit for this relay which in affect resets the relay because power was removed from it.
What I recommend is that you pull off the electrical cover and find the relay number and then pull the relay. I wish I could be more precise but I have nothing of my 944 handy at work,
Ciao and good luck,
Adrian
Old 06-08-2001, 01:00 PM
Louishn
Track Day

The fan circuit passes through a power resistor under the shroud at the back of the engine compartment under the hood where the blower motor itself is located.

When the switch is on 4, the power resistor is bypassed. So, the problem is in the resistor, or in the connector on it.
I had the same problem, and simply pulling the connector off solved it which indicates corrosion onthe connector. this may be the case with yours. To get the shroud off, simply remove the rubber seal along the edge and lift the shroud up. be careful when lifting up, because the shround can break, to fully remove it, you have to take the wiper arms off, but you should be able to get to the connector just holding the shroud up.

These power resistors do quit working, and a new one is $200.00

A note: since the work mentioned in my earlier post, many problems like this have gone away.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:49 PM
TimC
Instructor

Yeah, Louie - read that. Crikey! Thanks both for the info - I was hoping that maybe the resistor block was under that shroud and not deep in the dash somewhere. Good news. Thanks again.

T

Quick Reply: fan speed - only on 4 - revisited