Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this thing, and where is it supposed to be attached?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 08:12 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What is this thing, and where is it supposed to be attached?

There is a metal tube, 1/2 inch diameter, that comes up on the passenger side of the engine bay back by the firewall. It has a cap on it that is held on with a clamp. It also has a metal strap coming off at an odd angle... in profile it is almost the shape of a collapsed windsock. It runs back under the car and I can't see where it attaches. It is not attached to anything, so the end of the tube wobbles around. UNacceptable.

(1) What is this thing a part of? I haven't a clue.
(2) What is it supposed to be anchored to?

87 951.

TIA

Thaddeus
Old 06-07-2001, 10:05 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the test tube for measuring emissions before your converter, if it has broken off and not been welded up you will have an exhaust leak.
Most people just weld them up.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:09 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure it is attached at the bottom, just not at the top. What does it attach to at the top? Valve cover? Firewall?

TIA

Thaddeus
Old 06-07-2001, 10:40 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its suppose to attach near the bottom of the large engine hoist bracket (A-shaped with large 2" hole) at the rear of the motor. You should see a small L shape bracket welded to the metal test pipe near the top where the cap is. On mine the L bracket broke, and its near impossible to re-weld, much less replace.

I took some stainless steel fishing wire and wrap a couple of turns around the test tube and the hoist bracket to secure it, as on my car, the tube would vibrate against my auto trans cooler lines that come up in the same vicinity.

Porsche dealer mechanic was willing to break it off and weld the exhaust hole, as he never used that test tube for emissions checks. He used some other custom tester.

Quick Reply: What is this thing, and where is it supposed to be attached?