Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap brake cooling ducts!/Free rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 06:23 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Post Cheap brake cooling ducts!/Free rotors

I'm routing some cooling ducts to the rotors on my 84 NA, will let you guys know how it helps if anybody's interested. I'll post a few pictures of my favorite brake set-up for 944 NAs: ATE Powerslot rotors, Pagid orange brake pads, braided stainless steel brake lines, ATE super blue racing brake fluid. With this set-up, the brakes simply do not fade, with an otherwise stock (but new parts) brake components, even on track. The only time I ever experianced VERY slight fade was the second turn after the long straight at VIR.

I'm replacing rotors, pads, rebuilding calipers, and wheel bearings. I have a used pair of ATE powerslot rotors if anybody needs them. They're straight, and quite a bit over the minimum thickness. Keith, if you think you have a use for these, let me know, and I'll bring them with me to the auto-x this weekend. If not, I'll give them away to anybody who wants em.

Here are some pics:

New/old rotors/pads

Brake cooling ducts

Looks like I pulled the pads off right before they started chewing into the rotors!

And yes, German beer does help when working on the Porsche

If anybody is interested in more details, or the rotors, let me know.
Ahmet
Old 06-06-2001, 07:22 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahmet, is that brake duct drier hose? Tell us more about it. If you could show more pictures of it, I would be much obliged. Seems like an interesting mod...
Old 06-06-2001, 07:50 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

Several months ago I had a hell of a time finding good 3" hose to use for my cool brake ducting. I ended up using the aluminum dryer ducting. Went on pretty well, heat resistant, etc, but I saw the other night that it had torn in the middle and needs to be replaced......this after 2 track weekends. IMHO, as I expected when I installed it, the alum dryer ducting is probably not the optimal solution.....but withstanding proximity to the high temp brakes is not an easy thing to work with given the materials used in most ducting.

If you find a good source, let me know
Old 06-06-2001, 11:01 PM
Johannes E.
AutoX

Cool

Hey Ahmet!

Sorry to spoil your fun but Grolsh is not a German beer, it's Dutch!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

A couple of good sources for high-temp brake hose: Pegasus, and Racer Wholesale. Both with decent web sites. I consider myself lucky though, because Pegasus is only a few miles from my house.

Pat Kennedy
Waukesha WI
Old 06-07-2001, 12:24 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the offer, Ahmet!
but, I really think there are probably others who could benefit from them more than I.

However, if you haven't found a home for them by this weekend, I would certainly be willing to pass them along to one of my NA buddies in Charlotte!

Later on,
Old 06-07-2001, 12:26 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW - have you tried LOHRER?
Old 06-07-2001, 02:32 AM
John27
AutoX

I could use the set of discs. I live in NW Penna. If you need a shipping zip code- 15846. Contact me: john27pa@yahoo.com
Old 06-07-2001, 09:26 AM
Justin M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ahmet-

I too run an 84 944 on the track- I am interested in your feelings about the Pagid Orange pads, I had been told previously that they were not available for our cars, where do you source them from and do you have the part #? I use Performance Friction 90 compound and seem reasonably happy with them. I would like to do a comparison of them both.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:58 AM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you run your car on the street as well as the track like me, a good solution seems to be the 968 brake cooling parts. There are a couple of pieces of molded plastic that attach to the strut. One is shaped to scoop under car air, the top part funnels it right through the disc. There are no hoses to wear out and it looks as though my set-up would funnel much more air than the dryer vent tube.

Quick Reply: Cheap brake cooling ducts!/Free rotors