Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's inside a fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that i have a couple large electrical projects under my belt, i'm getting confident in doing it. Two things i've learned, one is that you need good AWG wire. And second is to Crimp and solder every connection. Crimping can be considered an art. There are right ways and wrong ways to crimp a connection. Search Youtube and there are some good lessons on there. Couple of years ago i bought this fuse panel for a project car. Ended up using it for my 944. So far the electrics have been bullet proof on my car. I know in the picture there isn't a grommet around the wires. It was installed after i finished.
Attached Images  

Last edited by seafeye; 08-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This website sells a great product. He specializes on British cars but has a simple solution for race cars. His wires are all copper core. The outer material will not burn either. So you use a blow torch to solder connections makes for very easy professional safe wiring.
If your car is going to be very basic. This small kit might just work. For high load circuits to avoid a relay you can get a 40 amp switch. I think our radiator fans draw the most current. A high quality switch would simplify things.
http://www.advanceautowire.com/
Look for the AUXILIARY FUSE PANEL link
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

That looks pretty similar to what I did in the ChumpCar. For the Jagermeister, that's my plan B if I can't get a "skeleton fuse block" together - but I think it will be quicker (and cheaper) to work with the existing connections I have, rather than get all new components...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What's inside a fuse box