Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy a new Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 10:57 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where to buy a new Cat?

Who's got the best prices on cats? Can I get one at Midas? Can they install one that I buy elsewhere? Mine's sizzling, so its my guess that the insides are pretty burnt up.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:54 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Talking

Tom,

You might want to get a high flow aftermarket caltalytic converter. Here's one: high flow cat made especially for mitsubishi cars, but you could get flanges welded to your piping to fit it. It is $150 or so and should work fine. This place also sells test pipes that swap in and out with the flanges for this particular cat for $75, if you are into that kind of thing.

Tom, are you in annapolis? If you are a raven's fan, you should come down to the crab cake factory on west street sunday at noon. My dad and his ravens roost organized a bull roast and they are going to have the superbowl trophy there and some players are going to be there and team owners etc. Its $25 for all you can eat and drink. I will be the drunk kid directing people where to park if you drive past.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:21 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Here are a few more places that sell universal cats:

place 1

place 2

place 3

place 4

and there are hundreds more where that came from. When and if you buy a 3rd party cat, try a shop that doesn't try to push its own products on you (midas does, and if you use something not from them, they will charge you out the yingyang)...maryland muffler in millersville is the only non chain muffler shop that won't rip you off I know of, but I am sure there are more.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:13 PM
Louishn
Track Day

let me warn you, the "universal cats" sold by midas and others do not work as well as the stock cat as far as converting the gases....they are also much, repeat much louder inside the car...I had one installed because my old one was rattling, new sound was great for about a month...now I had the shop install a used stock cat. Car is much quieter inside and out, and seems to perform better, maybe the system needs the back pressure the stock unit provides.

Quick Reply: Where to buy a new Cat?