Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 09:41 AM
951mat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo water pump

I just put my engine back together after some maintence, seals, gaskets etc. Car started fine and I idled it for 5 minutes, and the aux water pump wouldn't run. Should it run when I turn it off under these conditions, or does the turbo need to heat up first. I know it worked fine before I took everything apart and got the turbo rebuilt. I did have air in the cooling system, so I turned it off, tried to bleed it and idled it again for 5 minutes. Pump still wouldn't run. Any suggestions.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:55 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will test at lunch and let you know.
(I do know that there is a thermostat associated with that pump)
Old 06-06-2001, 01:18 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all it sounds like you are bleeding the cooling system wrong from your description. You crack that little plug open while the engine is running, not stopped. You do have your heater wide open and set on hot, right?

The turbo water pump should run about 30 seconds after you shut down even if you just fire the engine up for a couple seconds at idle. So, you may have a wiring issue here as in forgot to hook something up. The pump has two triggers. One is heat dependant the other is just a time delay of ~ 30 seconds after engine shutdown so the pump should be going in your case.

Don't mean to be insulting, but I hope you had the battery disconected while you were doing this project. Otherwise you might have shorted something. Even still, if you can't find any wires not connected look at the fuse and relay for the turbo water pump.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:19 PM
951mat
Advanced

I do still need to bleed the coolant system more completely. No insult taken, and yes the battery was disconnected while I was doing the work. I'll check the fuse and relay. I know theres threads out there to test this thing. I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:35 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Disconnect the sensor for the aux water pump. It's located on the water pipe to the turbo, the fans and pump should kick on every time you shut off from operating temp. (fail safe). I just plugged that sensor off, I prefer to have the fans and pump going every time I shut down.

Another thing I did was to wire a switch to the aux pump. I can turn the pump on manually from inside the car.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:52 PM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two items control the little pump. There is a temp sensor and a relay. The first thing I did was run direct voltage to the pump to ensure it works. Then I mistakenly replaced the relay thinking this was the only other part. It was in fact the temp sensor was shorted and somehow screwed up the signal to the relay causing the pump to not run. So if your pump works direct, the cheaper part is the temp sensor that is in the water line between the turbo and the resevoir tank. If that is good you need a relay. I just happen to have a perfectly good one left over from my mistake. Let me know if you need it.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:44 PM
951mat
Advanced

Thanks for the replys. Brent, can you describe how you you ran voltage to the pump to ensure it works. It wouldn't suprise me if the temp sensor is bad. The turbo did go in for a rebuild, maybe they screwed it up, otherwise I don't see how this got messed up. The pump was laying on the garage floor for a month while I worked on it. Could it have siezed, I've read of this happening on another thread. If it was, wouldn't you hear it trying to turn. I hear nothing. Is there a way to test the relay or jump it so that the pump kicks on? Thanks for the advise so far.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:34 AM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I had someone with an electrical schematic tell me which connection to make in the fuse box with the relay removed. That was last spring so I don't recall exactly how I did it. I also have a fleeting memory of simply running battery power to the connections on top of the pump itself. The relay has a diagram on it. You could try to decipher that and jump it in the fuse box. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Turbo water pump