Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get all red tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001 | 05:29 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Where to get all red tail lights?

I haven't spent that much time or money on the cosmetics of any car I've owned but...

Where can I get some of those?
Ahmet
Old 12-21-2001 | 06:40 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

I'm not a police man but wouldn't those have legal issues? I'd read up just to make sure you wouldn't get a trip to the impound. I think turn signals have to be amber, reverse has to be white, that also might be nice so someone behind you doesn't mistake you for a stoped car with your foot on the brake. I don't know how many times a set of white lights has saved me from a fender bender in a p-lot. Not tryin to shoot down the looks, just thinking of practicality.
Old 12-21-2001 | 06:51 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of imports now come with no amber lights in the rear, and the 968 had all red lenses.

I think they look sweet, especially on a red car.

You guys need to stop posting cool stuff, I am running out of money!
Old 12-21-2001 | 07:24 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The all red rear lens would be legal for US cars with one minor exception. The Federal lighting laws mandate a white backup light. The Federal law also allows an exception for the rear turn signal being amber rather than red which probably causes some confusion on what the correct colors are really supposed to be.

So red backup light would be a problem if a cop wanted to make one, though I can't see it being much of a safety issue in normal driving situations.

I would be sort of careful how far you go with lighting changes. We have Ricers running crazy colored bulbs and HID arc capsules being stuck in headlights designed for filament light sources. Something is going to give here. And it could easily be a major money making project for the local police force.
Old 12-21-2001 | 08:14 AM
ste
Track Day

I have those all red lights on my car. In fact, the back of my car looks very similar to the one above, with a 968 hatch spoiler etc. You can get the lights from a place called Club Auto Sport:
http://www.clubautosport.co.uk/

They do seem to flash quite red, and the reverse light is quite red too. They look great on a red car though.
Old 12-21-2001 | 10:44 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aren't the 968 taillights solid red?

Eric--where are ya jim??
Old 12-21-2001 | 10:58 AM
my944
Pro

I called Mick at Club Auto Sport. The lenses + shipping to the US came to around $400. They are made red by taking stock lenses and putting a special coating on them.
Old 12-21-2001 | 11:12 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

$400?!?!?!?!?

Break out the spray paint again...

-Matt
Old 12-21-2001 | 12:17 PM
sm
Drifting

They look nice, but I agree with Matt, they cost a pretty penny. Anyone know how to coat the lenses? Let's make it a DIY project.

What do you guys think of the door sills though? Mine are scratched from rocks and the corners of the fenders are rusted. These would take care of the cosmetics, after I clean out the rust.

sm
Old 12-21-2001 | 02:28 PM
Danno
Race Director

I'm not a police man but wouldn't those have legal issues?
Nope, amber tail turn-signals were only required from '78-84 on IMPORT cars, not domestics. Another way to "protect" the domestic auto-makers by driving up the price of their competitors. There were hundreds of dual-standard requirements like these. So what does the domestic guys do when Porsche, Toyota, all the imports have to raise their prices to meet all the "extra" requirements? They go right ahead and increase their prices too and continue to put out the same ole crap.
Old 12-21-2001 | 05:22 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Eric.. yep, 968 rear lens is all red, tho' close inspection reveals areas that are "less red," tending towards pink or 'faded' red.

The light from the turn flasher is amber, tho'. And the back-up light beam is white. If you're looking right into the lens of either, you see some hint of red in the lens surface. But the light they project onto the garage door is a pretty pure amber or white.

Either some very tricky molding, or post-molding treatment. Somebody at Porsche had maybe a little too much time on his hands that day....

Jim, ah, the convenience of having a garage right off the living room....
Old 12-24-2001 | 04:36 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

For those who asked, the way to make your lens all red is to buy Testor's clear red spray paint. It is made for model cars and is available at any hobby store (at least out in L.A.). You give them a light sanding with very fine paper, mask and spray. COmes out looking very original. I've not done it - I want my Porsche to remain stock appearing. But the one in this thread DOES look kinda good.

Quick Reply: Where to get all red tail lights?