Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Kenn311
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!

Okay well I have had this 1984 944 for about 2 months so I am still learning. All the sudden car wouldn't start so had it towed, got it home, and it started! Thought maybe fuel gauge was off so quickly went to get gas and although I don't normally use it ever I put dry gas in it and a fuel injector cleaner when I got home. Car started the next day so ran it for 30 min, it ran good, and then parked it. A few hours later it wouldn't start again. I changed the fuel filter and I also have a rigged pump relay so tried that. I can hear the pump motor for sure whether that means it's working correctly I don't know. Okay so that was long but question being, what's wrong?! Any ideas on what to check next?? I also checked the distributor cap and did a little sanding to clean but it didn't look too bad. I am about to replace my spark plugs but I don't think that's it. I really have no idea honestly though. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check for spark for intermittent no start. If there is no spark, most likely your either your reference or crank angle sensors is bad.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also get fuel injector test kits that are pretty cheap and plug into your fuel injector harness and the led lights up when you crank the engine if they are working,

also check the obvious, make sure the cap is on properly, the wires are in the correct order and the afm connection is plugged in.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

DME relay. Here were my symptoms: I was cruising on the highway right, literally driving home from buying the car, and the engine just dies. No noise, just dies. I pull over and re-start, but nothing happens... the starter turns over, but there was either no spark or no fuel.

Had it towed to a shop (because of course, I'm 2,000 miles away from my tools) and it fired right up when we tried starting it... only to die a minute or so later. This happened maybe one or two more times, and then it was back to not starting in the first place. Shop made a temp relay and it ran fine, so that was that.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Can you be more specific about "it won't start"? e.g. does the engine crank over? If not, it might be a bad starter. If the engine turns over, but it doesn't fire, it's likely a fuel or spark issue. If it is turning over, does the tach bounce? If so, it's probably a fuel issue.

A timing light is a good way to verify spark is happening; and a fuel pressure gauge is a good way to verify fuel is happening.

The key is to learn how to breakdown the symptoms into little pieces that you can test.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Autozone will loan a complete set of fuel pressure gauges so you can do all the tests of the system, including pump, FPR and FPD and check valve. Also the parts store will sell you a Noid light for plugging into the fuel injector connector ends. It lights up when each pulse is applied. They're cheap. DME relays are cheap and you should always have a spare. Check on ebay. Also you could have a fuel filter issue. I'd just buy one and install it since you don't know how the fuel system was maintained. They're cheap and easy to install.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Kenn311
Track Day

Thanks guys for all the assistance. I definitely have a few things to check out yet including those sensors. The car cranks and cranks but won't start. It was the weirdest thing I was checking the coil and I got 7 ohms reading or close. I didn't remove the wires though just checking for a reading. This is random but I had it on a hill (my driveway) and I popped the clutch just to see and it started! I am starting to think there is a loose connection like maybe a ground or something. Anyway thanks again for all the tips and info I got some work ahead of me I guess!

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
creaseuk
Intermediate

I have a thread titles 'My 944 Won't Start' Maybe you'll get some help from reading it..

Its really quick to check the sieve in the fuel tank, Mine was disintegrating and blocking the fuel to the pump.. That's the cheapest thing to check.. Then try the 'paperclip' option to jumper your DME relay.. Its in the Clarkes manual on my thread. Check ALL of your fuses too.. then the pressure regulator on your fuel rail. Only then can you start spending money .. Good Luck
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 AM
creaseuk
Intermediate

Spray Some Easy Start into the the Inlet Manifold with the Butterfly open (may need two people) If it fires its a Fuel problem. If its doesn't.. then its electrical.. Also try opening the 19mm nut om the end of the fuel rail. Be REALLY careful not to lose the ball bearing !! See if you have any pressure ..
Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kenn311
Thanks guys for all the assistance. I definitely have a few things to check out yet including those sensors. The car cranks and cranks but won't start. It was the weirdest thing I was checking the coil and I got 7 ohms reading or close. I didn't remove the wires though just checking for a reading. This is random but I had it on a hill (my driveway) and I popped the clutch just to see and it started! I am starting to think there is a loose connection like maybe a ground or something. Anyway thanks again for all the tips and info I got some work ahead of me I guess!
I have diagnosed many no starts in many 944s and other makes. There are a few things that will cause a 944 to not start intermittently. Spark is the easiest to check. Pull one of the wires and put a plug on the end of the wire. Ground the plug to the intake manifold by resting the metal part on the manifold. Crank the car and if you see spark, then we can diagnose further.

The reason I suggest this is because your no start does not sound like a fuel problem.

Originally Posted by creaseuk
Spray Some Easy Start into the the Inlet Manifold with the Butterfly open (may need two people) If it fires its a Fuel problem. If its doesn't.. then its electrical.. Also try opening the 19mm nut om the end of the fuel rail. Be REALLY careful not to lose the ball bearing !! See if you have any pressure ..
Good advice except I don't believe it is fuel related. If starting fluid does not work, it simply mean that it is not a fuel problem. It could be electrical, timing (broken timing belt or jumped timing), or lack of compression (blown head gasket, valve timing issues).
Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Kenn311
Track Day

Okay so I did the jumper relay multiple times and heard the fuel pump running. I pulled a wire to look for spark and I don't if I did it right but it didn't look like I had spark. I am still going to check the other things mentioned in this thread yet but here's the weird thing. So yesterday I popped the clutch and it started. It ran a little rough but then fine. Of course this morning it started right up and it ran rough for a few minutes then fine. So now I obviously have spark and fuel although as said runs a little rough at first so it was just a little baffling to me. This intermitent stuff is just crazy! I replaced the fuel filter as stated and it's cheap so this weekend I'll replace the sparks and cap. I still have much to check but just frustrated. Guess this is what happens when you love a 1984 944! In addition tach/gpm not working. That was previously an intermitent problem as well though. Thank you again everyone for all the info and feedback, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Kenn311
Track Day

Oh I also sprayed into the manifold and got nothing. *forgot to mention that*
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Could be the speed or reference sensor...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Check for spark for intermittent no start. If there is no spark, most likely your either your reference or crank angle sensors is bad.
Originally Posted by Van
Could be the speed or reference sensor...
You can buy all kinds of parts and randomly guess at the problem. You will end up paying multiple times the amount in money and time replacing stuff that does not need replacement. Van and I both believe it is likely that your sensors are intermittent.

If you are getting no spark, popping the clutch won't do anything for you. It would have started if you turned the key if popping the clutch will start the car. The only thing popping the clutch is good for is when your starter or battery is dead (bad contact to battery etc) unless you have an alarm starter kill that is bad or your ignition switch contact is bad giving no power to the starter. In which case, bears absolutely no relevance to your no start problem.

Stop wasting time and give a definitive yes or no to whether you have spark or not.

If your car is in front of me, I can diagnose the no start problem in 10 minutes 95 percent of the time. I have dealt with 100+ 944s with no start problems in the past so save yourself the headache from doing this by trial and error. The rest of the 5 percent are in electrical shorts, bad grounds, and cut wires in the loom and that normally takes me 30 minutes to narrow it down.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Kenn311
Track Day

Okay so I have a fuel injection reference mark sensor that needs to go in. A speed sensor was mentioned, is there another name for that specific sensor? I am looking and I see a crankshaft position sensor, is that the additional sensor you guys are referring to?? Thanks again for your assistance and time.

Quick Reply: Car won't start!