Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!

Haven't been on here in a few months as my car's been running fantastic! However, now I've got a new issue. I noticed a few days ago that my car's been running a bit rough on idle. Nothing I hadn't experienced before. Then my car just upped and shut off while driving on the freeway. Odd thing is, I didn't get any signs of fuel loss or anything like that. It just shut off with no warning. I got it running and it happened three times on my way home until it just died. Now the engine turns it attempts to start but it doesn't actually start. I pulled off the distributor cap and half of the rotor was burnt off. Now I don't seem to be getting any current to the wires from the cap. Should I replace the cap? Also if anyone has a good suggestion please let me know. I really can't miss too many days of work because of this lol. Also, I have an 88 924 S
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
doc_
Instructor

If I'm not mistaken, the 924 S has the same 2.5 as the 944's, so I'll chime in.

I would replace the rotor and cap for sure, I had a similar issue after someone had rear ended me. Start up just fine, then my car would just die. Turns out, I only hand tightened the wires to the ignition coil when I was chasing a no-spark problem. Guess they were in the sweet spot up until that lady jarred my car. Check the inside of the cap to see if there are any burn marks that aren't on the copper contact points
Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I once had a misfire at full load... it turned out my rotor was about 1/2 gone.

While you're at it, you might want to do a full tune-up - cap, rotor and wires, too.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

ok I replaced the rotor. which was just charred and burned. That little allen cap screw that hold in place...F*** that thing man took me 6 hours to pull it out without damaging anything. I should replace the cap too then.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

where is the ignition coil located? I got into an accident not too long ago. Maybe it came loose?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Winter44
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the 5th plug wire toward the passenger side of the car. Should be mounted right in front of your power steering reservoir and your headlight bar. Should have a black plastic cap on it as well.

Originally Posted by fmartinez1897
where is the ignition coil located? I got into an accident not too long ago. Maybe it came loose?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If "the door came off" in the accident, have you made sure the wiring is not pinched in the frame?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/7589210-post6.html

Also, the side impact on the door might have damaged the reference sensors, DME, ???.

J_AZ

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

Hmm let me check that out. Like I said on PP. The engine attempts to start but wont start. I just changed all the fuses (not relays). Can't seem to figure it out. I'm gonna check for wiring that got damaged now. The DME is under the dash right? the computer?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM
A.M.H
Instructor

The DME is located in the passenger footwell area. Under the carpet, there is a wood cover held in by 4 phillip screws. Remove those and pull out the wood board. Now your DME is accessible. From there, it should be another 2-4 screws holding that into the "frame". Then you can remove it, open it, inspect it. Whatever's clever.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

well I got hit on the driver's side so the DME shouldn't be affected right?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.M.H
The DME is located in the passenger footwell area. Under the carpet, there is a wood cover held in by 4 phillip screws. Remove those and pull out the wood board. Now your DME is accessible. From there, it should be another 2-4 screws holding that into the "frame". Then you can remove it, open it, inspect it. Whatever's clever.
well I got hit on the driver's side so the DME shouldn't be affected right?
The DME in the 1988 924S is located next to the steering column, drivers side, under the dash. See Clarks Garage for removal info:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/dme-01.htm

So...if you got hit on the drivers side door, it shook the DME pretty hard as well.

GL
J_AZ
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

John do you think a bad ignition coil could be the issue? It's pretty much the only thing I haven't checked. I seem to not be getting any spark. Got the car to a mechanic yesterday. He told me today the DME is fine.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

Also, my tach moves VERY slightly. (less than an inch.)
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

John do you think a bad ignition coil could be the issue? It's pretty much the only thing I haven't checked. I seem to not be getting any spark. Got the car to a mechanic yesterday. He told me today the DME is fine.
Also, my tach moves VERY slightly. (less than an inch.)
Haven't been on here in a few months as my car's been running fantastic! However, now I've got a new issue. I noticed a few days ago that my car's been running a bit rough on idle. Nothing I hadn't experienced before. Then my car just upped and shut off while driving on the freeway. Odd thing is, I didn't get any signs of fuel loss or anything like that. It just shut off with no warning. I got it running and it happened three times on my way home until it just died. Now the engine turns it attempts to start but it doesn't actually start. I pulled off the distributor cap and half of the rotor was burnt off.

Now I don't seem to be getting any current to the wires from the cap.

Should I replace the cap? Also if anyone has a good suggestion please let me know. I really can't miss too many days of work because of this lol. Also, I have an 88 924 S
I do not understand if the mechanic said the DME is fine, you are getting tach bounce, BUT no spark to the plugs.

Did the mechanic check for spark to the plugs?

Have you tried your spare DME/Fuel pump relay or the 3 wire jumper?

John
Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 PM
fmartinez1897
Advanced

Now you see my confusion John. I have no idea, I found that with this car the problem is usually right under your nose. you know? Something unplugged, vaccuum line came loose, Bad hose blah blah. But at this point I'm stumped. I have two DME relays both new cause I've heard instances where people buy them and they're faulty. So I bought a spare to keep in the glove box just in case. Both gave me the same results. So far I did this myself.

Replaced DME relay
Replaced distributor cap & rotor
new spark plugs (Might as well mine were old)
Cables ( same reason)
Got a new ignition coil
Checked fuel injector cables with noid light.
Injectors spray fine
Checked fuel pump and it's pumping fuel

Only things I haven't run through yet are the Speed/ Ref Sensors and the ECU. However mechanic said the ECU/ DME was fine. Although when i called he got all pissed off cause I suggested the idea.
I know pelican sells the BMW ref/speed sensors considerably cheaper than the OEM Porsche ones and they're interchangeable. I Hope it's one of those two things and nothing more. Cause seriously I'd be extremely pissed if I pay someone to change two plugs or switch out the computer and I have to pay a fortune for it.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!