Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. John Dunkle.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 06:13 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mr. John Dunkle.....

Nice board! I had a couple of questions for you. Why is the time and date in european format (dd/mm/yy, 24 h time)? Anyway to set that preference in our profile? I just get confused and am wondering why all of the posts from today were posed on february 6th...

Also, someone (skip maybe) else had a good suggestion: to build a small library of icons that someone can choose to go under their name to represent their ride, like the BMW web board (forgot the url). If you were down with it, I could put together a group of 50x50 pixel or so pictures of every model of porsche for the waterboys and even the air suckers to use. It would take me an evening's work, but would be worth it to help contribute to the board. Let me know.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:50 PM
Jma_1
Advanced

Ribs,
If you need help with the those icons please let me know, it would be my pleasure. It would be great if John allowed its use.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:01 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
HI..!!

I think you are referring to the use of "avatars", maybe?? Frankly - I'm certainly NOT oppossed to them - in fact, I think they could be kind of neat!!:-) However - to bring them on-line requires a fair bit of custom hacking - so let me take a look at that option before commiting to it, OK?

Also - if you can find that URL (the Bimmer site) that uses them - that would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

John
Old 06-03-2001, 07:32 PM
Jma_1
Advanced

Hi John,

Have a look at this http://www.bmwplanet.com/index.cfm and this http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread...hreadid=22862.

They both make use of avatars.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2001, 01:54 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi John,

Not sure if I'm the only one, but in addition to being a Porsche fan, I'm a bit of a computer geek. If you need help with any custom coding to make the "avatars" work, just let me know a) what operating system the bulletin board software is running on and b) what version of the software it is.

I'm not sure how easy it is to add new icons, but I'll mess around with it and setup something here to show you if you want.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:11 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like you wont need to do any custom programming in order to display custom icons.

Though I'm not quite sure of what the limitations are, it looks like according to this page all you need to do is upload the icons as .gif files into the directory with all the others.

You could even have the icon's appear in squential number (starting with say 356 and working up to 959) if you upload the files in the order you want them to appear.

I hope this helps, but if not, contact InfoPop, I'm sure they'll be glad to help out a customer...
Old 06-04-2001, 02:32 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Ribs,
You are driving a Porsche which is made in european country...In Germany they are having dd/mm/yy and 24H clock.I suppose US is olmost thet only country which is using different standards.I supposed this is an international list.Have You ever tought how difficult US standards can be for us europeans ???
Olli
Old 06-04-2001, 12:38 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Olli, point taken. However, I have seen a couple of UBB's that either let you set up date/time preferrences in your profile, or actually read the encoding type and local specified in your browser (internet explorer only), and display the time and date apropriately to your location. I do understand that many europeans (and other international people) read and post to these boards. It is just confusing for me, personally because if I get used to reading the date in the current format, I may start writing it "dyslexicly" at work and get yelled at by my boss . Not that big of a deal, though.

Just a personal note: I do believe that the US's measurement systems are some of the dumbest most non intelligble units imagineable. Feet, pounds, gallons, deg F, etc. are all dumb and should have been changed in the 70's when they were trying to reform the US measurement systems, as meters, grams, litres, deg. C, etc all make a whole lot more sense because they are all base 10, easily converted between, and are based on science (mostly chemistry and physics) while I think the US measurements are based on the specific density of a chicken. dd/mm/yy makes more sense to me because the units are increasing in size, and every unit consists of so many of the previous unit. 24 hour clock...I think they should re-do the passage of time to a base 10 system for the passage of a day, so you would have 10 or 100 hours in a day, each hour made up of 100 minutes, each minute made up of 100 seconds (which would obviously have to be a different amount of time than the current second). Well, that is just my opinion. Anyways, I have to replace a half shaft and CV joint on my all-trac today, so that should be a lot of fun. John D, let me know what you are thinking about the avatars, and if I should start, what size you want them, etc.

Quick Reply: Mr. John Dunkle.....