Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about cleaning the hard lines to crankcase filter?(951 head job update)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 11:13 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post questions about cleaning the hard lines to crankcase filter?(951 head job update)

Ok Gruppe,

this weekend, while periodically breaking and replacing brittle vaccuum lines and the venturi hose during the headjob on the unloved 951, I noticed that the largest of the hard lines under the intake manifold was significantly filled with crystalline oil-gook. This line runs from the big ribbed hose (at turbo) to the black plastic canister attached to the oil fill tube (am I right in assuming that this is a crackcase filter?). I was wondering if it were a BAD idea to spray brake cleaner throught the tube and wash it back into the canister. I certainly don't want any of that oily grit in the engine! Or should I leave it as is? What exactly is the function of this line/canister?

In other news, I tried a gasket remover spray my father picked up this weekend, that you spray on the gasket, let it sit 10 min and scrape/push off. It works about like a furniture stripper, and was effective at softening the gasket material significantly. I wish I'd had it to use on the cylinder head to block mating surfaces, as I am sure the seal on the surfaces cleaned with the assistance of the spray will be more effective!
Good stuff, add it to scotchbrite, razorblades and brake cleaner spray on the gasket cleaning shopping list!
Old 06-04-2001, 12:39 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Just take the line out of the car, find something that will scrape the inside of the pipe, and get it all clean. Make sure that there is no leftover crap in there, and put it back together.

This line is just a breather tube for the PVC canister. No big thing, but it needs to stay connected.

Quick Reply: questions about cleaning the hard lines to crankcase filter?(951 head job update)