Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002 | 07:20 AM
Irish
Intermediate

Post Painting 944?

Hi Guys,

I am considering painting all or part of my 1987 944S. It is guards red and all of you know how pretty the factory finish is. My car had the nose painted some years back by the PO and I have never though the paint had the same glow of the factory finsh. The years are starting to show though and I was considering a new paint job.

Question: What do I need to consider when selecting a paint shop? I would be sick if I painted the car and it did not look like the factory finish. I am told that the factory uses a baked on enamel? What do they put in that red paint to make it glow like it does?

BTW, the rest of my car look ok when freshly waxed but has fine scraches and swirl marks on it.

Who has had good results painting a red Porsche? At the very least, I plan to paint the nose again.
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:18 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Contact Red Hill Abrasives. THey have a product (Mirka) that I swear by for removing the swirl marks you are referring to. My car was repainted by the PO and the finish had no "glow". I used the Mirka product and the paint job shines. A word of warning...if you are too aggressive, like any abrasive, you will wear through the paint.

Even an Earl Sheib paint job can look good if (1) the prep work is compentently done..all trim, rubber items, handles removed, car wet sanded, etc. and (2) the paint is given time to cure and then wet sanded with 10 micron paper..carefully..and then a micro polish is used.

Good luck...

Bob S.
Old 01-22-2002 | 01:03 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

You need to color sand that nose. If you mess up you were going to re-paint it any way, right?...and the cost of color sanding is neglible by comparison.

The previous owner of my car re-painted the nose due to rock rash and it was a cheapo Maaco or One Day job. Lots of paint, but orange peeled as hell. It is as hand polished and clay barred/waxed as it could possibly be and it REALLY shines, but on close inspection it doesn't look right with the pebbly surface that is orange peel.

Per Perry951, the steps are:

*Wet sand with 1500 then 2000 grit to remove the peel. Go slow, lots of water and check often with a squeegie - you want to remove no more than is absolutely necessary.

*Then 3M Machine Glaze on a direct drive buffer at 1900-2200 rpm - watch the edges!
3 applications of the 3M

*Then follow up with Finesse It 2

*Then 3M Pink It.

I haven't done this yet - been meaning to for a couple of months (time flies!). But this should work great.

When I do mine I'll post before, during, after pix.

PS - Sand in a circular motion, LOTS of light, LOTS of water and a good sanding block.

Quick Reply: Painting 944?